Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 138-0-35

YGOPro Name : Decato

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Empty
PostSubject: Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance   Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Icon_m11Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:15 am
Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Forbidden_lance

Target 1 face-up monster on the field; until the End Phase, it loses 800 ATK, but is unaffected by the effects of other Spell/Trap Cards.

Forbidden Lance was first used often in Gladiator Beasts and since then it has not looked back; becoming one of the most used tech cards in the game. So what exactly does this card do? Forbidden Lance is a quick-play spell card that decreases a face-up Monster's attack by 800, in return for it being immune to the effects of other Spells and Trap Cards.

The first aspect to point out is that it is a Quick-Spell; the most versatile type of Spell/Trap card. You can set it during your turn and use it like a Trap next turn, activate it like a normal Spell card from your hand, or chain it to other cards during your turn.; whats not to love? The second point is it's effect; giving a monster full immunity to other Spell/Trap cards is obviously useful.

Forbidden Lance is used to disrupt your opponent's plays; in two main ways. The first way is to stop them from destroying your monster by using Spell/Trap cards; should they use Torrential, Bottomless, Dark Hole, Compulsory (Anything other than Solemn Warning/Judgement pretty much), just chain Lance to your monster and they would've wasted a key card. Don't forget, it can be used against other Spell/Traps (I've seen people miss this part): for example, Gravekeeper monsters with lose 1300 attack (- 500 from Necrovalley - 800 from Lance), if you use Lance on your monster it can attack past Swords or Gravity Bind. The second way is using it to run over your opponent's monsters; you can use this on your opponent's monsters and cause them to lose 800. This makes most monsters manageable to run over: for example, Stardust will drop to a weak 1700. Plus since it decreases attack, it can be used in the Damage Step, and not too many things could stop stuff in the Damage Step. (Hence why you'll see this used with Rabbit utilizing Guaiba)

The only negative aspect about this card is the 800 attack loss. However, given that even that can be used to your advantage Forbidden Lance is one of the most splash-able cards in the game. I know I didn't list all the ways this card is used but it's fairly straightforward. So opinions? Do you use Lance in your Main? Side? Or maybe don't have room for it?

P.S. The COTW until now were mainly about well-known cards; I'll try and fit some more unknown cards in the future.

Sabbaticus

Sabbaticus

Founder

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Points : 100

Duel Career : 32-0-5

YGOPro Name : Sabbaticus

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance   Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Icon_m11Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:43 pm
Great stuff Decato. I love this card, I main 1 in decks that really need to see a play through, or get over a monster for an effect like Firedog. I also side this in some decks as a counter side to protect against Skill Drains, Shadow or Light-Imprisoning Mirrors etc.

I voted for Thunderbird because it's such a good card and widely overlooked, extremely popular in the ocg. I've wanted to see it reviewed for a while
Puffy

Puffy

Duel Career : 27-0-35

YGOPro Name : Puffy

YCC Gold
Squire
Team Wars Silver
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance   Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Icon_m11Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:58 pm
Nice review as always Decato Smile
Austin

Austin

Duel Season : 0-0-1

Duel Career : 39-0-14

YGOPro Name : Austin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance 2ntv8so
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance   Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Icon_m11Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 pm
Another awesome topic from you Devan , i hope the Seal of Orichalcos is next ^^
Aang

Aang

Duel Career : 21-0-7

YGOPro Name : Aang

Weekly Bash Gold
Order of Light
2nd Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance   Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Icon_m11Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Was this the one that was up on NEDA before, or is a new one? :S

Anyway, everyone has said it but its true, great review, as always.
nghohung90

nghohung90

Duel Career : 0-0-0

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance   Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Icon_m11Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:45 pm
I like this card too. And I wanna add 1 more use of this. Like Decato mention your monster cant get other spell/trap effect. so gravekeeper monsters would lose 500 atk from Necro valley. But if you use this to your opponent monster. For example a monster equip with 2 mage power (3 more set cards) and it atk raise from 1300 to 6000 and it can atack 2 times in one turn (Mataza the zapper) and you just ... activate Forbbiden lance in damage step when that monster atk your 1500 monster lol. It will down from 6000 to 700 and get destroyed. Or use this on a monster equiped with Safe zone so you can destroy or target it with monster effect.....
[KDAp]OneTrackMind

[KDAp]OneTrackMind

Team : [None]

Duel Career : 1-0-0

YGOPro Name : OneTrackMind

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance   Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Icon_m11Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:22 pm
nghohung90 wrote:
I like this card too. And I wanna add 1 more use of this. Like Decato mention your monster cant get other spell/trap effect. so gravekeeper monsters would lose 500 atk from Necro valley. But if you use this to your opponent monster. For example a monster equip with 2 mage power (3 more set cards) and it atk raise from 1300 to 6000 and it can atack 2 times in one turn (Mataza the zapper) and you just ... activate Forbbiden lance in damage step when that monster atk your 1500 monster lol. It will down from 6000 to 700 and get destroyed. Or use this on a monster equiped with Safe zone so you can destroy or target it with monster effect.....

First i would like to point out that, Mataza the Zapper would go down from 1300 ---> 500, if used in that particular situation. Also, if the opponent has already used safe zone on the monster and it's fully equipped, then Forbidden Lance can't target it so that situation is impossible. Even if it is activated like [You] Bottomless ---> [Opponent] Safe Zone ---> [You] Forbidden Lance. Monster will still not be destroyed since Lance would nullify bottomless, it has no usefulness with safe zone...at all. And if you do activate it directly before your opponent uses safe-zone, it will still target and they'll just end, or most likely set, end and receive the effects of Safe Zone.

Anyways, nice review, i never actually used Forbidden Lance for myself other than using it for Gadgets...perhaps once on YGO3 before trading it the next day...i'll try to see how splash-able this card truly is...might be good for my custom deck. Thanks for the review. Knowledge obtained.
nghohung90

nghohung90

Duel Career : 0-0-0

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance   Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Icon_m11Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:41 am
EnfernoKnight wrote:
First i would like to point out that, Mataza the Zapper would go down from 1300 ---> 500, if used in that particular situation. Also, if the opponent has already used safe zone on the monster and it's fully equipped, then Forbidden Lance can't target it so that situation is impossible. Even if it is activated like [You] Bottomless ---> [Opponent] Safe Zone ---> [You] Forbidden Lance. Monster will still not be destroyed since Lance would nullify bottomless, it has no usefulness with safe zone...at all. And if you do activate it directly before your opponent uses safe-zone, it will still target and they'll just end, or most likely set, end and receive the effects of Safe Zone.

Anyways, nice review, i never actually used Forbidden Lance for myself other than using it for Gadgets...perhaps once on YGO3 before trading it the next day...i'll try to see how splash-able this card truly is...might be good for my custom deck. Thanks for the review. Knowledge obtained.

Oh yeah somehow I always think that lance only decrease 600 even I put lance in every deck. And safe zone. Yes I forgot that safe zone wont let forbiden lance target that monster. But we can still chain to safe zone then use a monster effect to get rid of the monster.

What I mean is we can use lance to make opponent's monster cant use positive effect from their spell/trap.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance   Featured Card  #7: Forbidden Lance Icon_m11

Featured Card #7: Forbidden Lance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1