Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 138-0-35

YGOPro Name : Decato

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Empty
PostSubject: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 am
Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} 118ya

Elemental Dragons are the most broken deck I've had the misfortune of playing: as I missed the Tele-Dad format. There are some people who argue Elemental Dragons aren't hard to beat or they aren't broken... I say to them "wake up and open your eyes to the truth". They are broken, end of story and anyone who argues with this is either a troll or just naive.

Now that I got my rant out of the way, it's time to start this article. 'Facing the Meta' will be a series of articles where I point out the weaknesses of the main meta decks in online YGO (not TCG, OCG). In this format which I like to call Scissors-Paper-Rock, Elemental Dragons are one of the main decks where if you go first and get a decent hand, it's very difficult for the opponent to come back (alongside Evilswarm, Spellbooks and to a lesser aspect Fire Fist).

The Meta has become incredibly fast, with the main meta decks being very spam and OTK-ish. I hate to say this, but if you are dueling Elemental Dragons and they get their first turn LADD/Draco-sack and you don't have the right cards in your hand... there really isn't much you can do.

However, it is a different story with matches and even in singles, they aren't unbeatable. With the right siding and playing with the next few points in mind, we can all survive this joke of Konami's.

Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Dragon-Capture-Jar_th_20381

Quote :
Dragon Capture Jar anyone?

If only we could do a Pegasus and use Dragon Capture Jar... never fear, I have other cards that can turn that frown upside down.

Playstyle

First, briefly let me explain how E-Dragons work. The babies can discard itself and another Dragon monster to special summon it's grown form from the deck. And when the grown versions are banished (in hand or grave), it can add themselves or the baby version from the deck to the hand.

As you can see, these just generate advantage so they can continue the spamming next turn: of course, the deck has a limited number of plays before it is left with no plays: way less than other decks. Another reason why the deck is so feared is due to the easy access to LADD. Now LADD in itself isn't bad but given how easy it can be searched with Eclipse Dragon: a first turn LADD is one of the most common plays they do.

Like I mentioned before, there is a limited number of plays, so this deck CAN overextend. Not by summoning too many monsters: but too many, too fast. This is key to managing a E-Dragon duel.

Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} 118z7

In general, E Dragons will get about 5 major waves of spamming in a duel. I do not have the calculations to back me up but when I look at duels I won against E Dragons that seems to be the average number before they start to run out of plays. Force them to pump out monsters: bait their plays, and if the Dragon was special summoned from the grave with its own effects... Prison/Bottomless is a great way to make them lose their momentum.

Another part to mention is, NEVER leave a LV 7 face up on your field, in fact, never leave anything that you don't want Big-Eye'd without protection as trust me, they will hit Big Eye 3 times during a duel: easily.

Predict what they'll do: the plays Elemental Dragons does are very linear, save the Effect Vieler for Big Eye or Phantom Beast, use the Maxx C the instant you see a baby's effect etc.

Siding

Let's start with the obvious cards: Anti-Special summon monsters. Elemental Dragons rely on special summons and their strongest monster that can be normal summoned in general is Reactan at 1800 attack points. Therefore, anti-special summon monsters are a great card to side in or even main. With the only real way out either being by attacking with the baby dragons or Blaster's effect: you are guaranteed a win if you can take advantage of this.

Quote :
Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo, Evilswarm Ophion, Jowgen the Spiritualist, Kristya, Crimson Blader

The second types of cards are those that stop the Elemental Dragons that aren't monsters. Most of the Elemental Dragons rely on removing them from the game to take advantage of their searching. The babies can surpass this of course, but it still stops most of their plays.

Quote :
Soul Drain, Necrovalley, Imperial Iron Wall, Mind Drain, Vanity's Emptiness

Finally, the cards that don't stop them in the tracks, but can punish the opponent for over-extending (yes it can happen), or just keep you in the game.

Quote :
Effect Veiler, Maxx 'C', Electric Virus, Metaion, Breakthrough Skill, Gozen Match, Rivalry of the Warlords, Lava Golem, Chaos Hunter, Kycoo, Morphing Jar #2, Colossal Fighter, Thunder King Raioh, Droll & Lock Bird.

Phew... well that's more than you thought isn't it?

Bad match-ups: Evilswarm, Elemental Dragon Mirror
Decent match-ups: Everything else (sorry but it's true)

Well that's all from me for now: next time I'll do one on Evilswarms, until then good luck... may the Gods bless us in this meta of madness Razz.

Last edited by Decato on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
NickV

NickV

Administrator

Team : Toxic Flamingos

Duel Points : 100

Duel Season : 1-0-2

Duel Career : 45-0-24

YGOPro Name : NickV

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Silver
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:32 pm
I love Colossal in the mirror, crash into Blaster/REDMD and just revive it. If it gets Big Eye'd you just crash into it with your own Blaster and sp summon it to your side of the field again.

Good write up, maybe explain when some cards work and don't work; how to play them.
Liyana

Liyana

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Season : 8-0-1

Duel Career : 75-0-48

YGOPro Name : Liyana

YCC Bronze
Order of Chaos
Battle Arena Bronze
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm
Nice guide mate , will help a lot of people.
Pyro

Pyro

War Manager

Duel Points : 225

Duel Season : 7-0-6

Duel Career : 146-0-74

YGOPro Name : Pyro/SoulBurner

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} 2ntv8so
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 pm
nice. this is what some people need to read to understand how to beat that deck or at least to know its weaknesses. and guess I will try the dragon capture jar just to c how effective it is Razz
Eteritra

Eteritra

Duel Career : 1-0-2

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm
Lol, Pyro i'd say the Dragon capture jar was a joke. But then again it could be useful to stop the dragons, for taking a bite out of you before they overlay. Nice Guide it should help alot of people, E-Dragons are so predictable due to they don't do much other then the same moves over and over again but even knowing that you still lose sometimes if you aren't ready. Looking forward to the Evilswarms hate them things lol.
Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Team : N/A : Eternal Green 4 Lyf

Duel Career : 0-0-1

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:58 pm
I win both ways, my e-dragons beat evilswarm and and my evilswarm beat e-dragons, so, yeah, not invincible just annoying.
Austin

Austin

Duel Season : 0-0-1

Duel Career : 39-0-14

YGOPro Name : Austin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:12 pm
against evilswarn , who start first win Razz
this what mostly happen , so who win r/p/s and play right will win the match Smile
at least this what happen with me
Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:22 pm
well every time I fought an evilswarm it was first turn ophion, I then popped it then won the next turn, almost all of the time, though I have seen some interesting builds Razz
LordMelchett

LordMelchett

Duel Career : 16-0-4

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Gold
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:24 pm
Good read!

Yes, this is madness season now - this deck is at Tier 0 or at least very close to it.

As Decato wrote - there are ways to handle it; but you better start the duel or it might get impossible.

Bottom line - improve your RPS skills. lol
Austin

Austin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm
well there is one thing everyone agree on , this deck killed the game a lot xD
and when it become TCG i can see big dragons : 200$ at least and the baby one maybe 500 xD
Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:45 pm
limit the babies and the big ones will fall.
Decato

Decato

Administrator

Team : Tricksters

Duel Points : 125

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm
Actually they already topped a regionals with only 2 of the babies. 4 participated in a tournament filled with Evilswarm... and 3 made top 3. So, limiting babies will help but they'll still be meta.
Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 pm
you only ever play with 2 of each babies in a good build so limiting them will halve the power.
Jaaden

Jaaden

Event Manager

Duel Season : 1-0-1

Duel Career : 21-0-6

YGOPro Name : Jaaden

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Gold
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:55 pm
Heh I missed those Guides Cant wait for the Evilswarm 1 Cuz they all now uses Either them or lame Dragons

I Started to side like everything I can against those freaks

Awesome guide deca :3
Austin

Austin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 pm
limiting the baby one don't help , slow it a little bit , go after the big one and limit them xD
Liyana

Liyana

Duel Season : 8-0-1

Duel Career : 75-0-48

YGOPro Name : Liyana

YCC Bronze
Order of Chaos
Battle Arena Bronze
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:09 pm
lol heres that link : http://duelistcodex.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/yu-gi-oh-singapore-asia-championship-qualifier-2013/#more-1765

out of the 4 elementals that entered all of them made top 8 , 3 made it to top 3 , verz couldn't touch them. This was with 2 babies, not the four we have now.
Austin

Austin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
that show how this deck is broken Razz
Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
I've never lost to an elemental dragon deck even with todays 4 babies...
Azi

Duel Career : 50-0-57

YGOPro Name : Azi

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Bronze
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:21 pm
Im not sure what i hate more, FF or E-Drags.

I will stop them, 7 cards anti FF, 7 cards anti E-Drag, and 1 mind crush.

I will survive this epidemic!

Good guide Smile
Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 pm
but then what about evilswarm?
Decato

Decato

Administrator

Team : Tricksters

Duel Points : 125

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:26 pm
Quote :
I've never lost to an elemental dragon deck even with todays 4 babies...

Right...
Azi

Duel Career : 50-0-57

YGOPro Name : Azi

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Bronze
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:26 pm
Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem wrote:

I don't mind evilswarms as much to be honest. I have a harder time getting over Drago, LADD, etc etc.

I can get over orphion easy enough, of course its without saying that Evilswarms are fast enough, and powerful enough, but i'll pick the greater of the 3 evils to save myself Wink
Austin

Austin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:27 pm
Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem wrote:
hmm use a deck focus on xyz ?
i am sure you didn't about don't ya
Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Resurrēctiō De Phoenicem

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:29 pm
oh I know, I was asking why they weren't siding for swarms...
DarkMadzishN

Duel Season : 2-0-0

Duel Career : 122-0-71

YGOPro Name : DarkMadzishN

YCC Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Gold
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:29 pm
Very nice guide.

Sadly , they can get out of almost any situation..
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11

Facing the Meta: Elemental Dragons {pre-Pendulum}

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next