Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 138-0-35

YGOPro Name : Decato

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:07 pm

-Article requested by Chaos Creator-

Noble Knight Guide Banner-grupo1-81111

Before I start, I would like to point out that Colonel176 has already posted a Noble Knight guide (http://www.chaosera.org/t6930-noble-knight-guide) which goes into more detail. The reason I will be making another guide anyway is because I have seen Noble Knights see more play in the online Meta and Colonel’s guide doesn’t discuss much on how to counter the deck. I will only be discussing what I feel are the main cards so while I’m sure there are others that you may feel are good, please note that I have skipped them because I feel they don’t offer enough.

Now, Noble Knights are an archetype based on the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. They are a group of monsters that are assisted by Equip Spell cards based on various swords in Arthurian Legend. The main monsters work in a similar manner to Gemini, instead of being normal summoned to use effects, they need to be equipped with a Noble Arms equip spell: the main ones being Medraut, Borz, Gwalchavad.

Main Cards

Noble Knight Medraut (Lvl 4, Light, Warrior)
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field. While equipped with a "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Card, this card becomes an Effect Monster with these effects. ● This card becomes DARK and its Level is increased by 1. Once per turn, if you control no other monsters: You can Special Summon 1 "Noble Knight" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position, except "Noble Knight Medraut", and if you do, destroy 1 Equip Spell Card you control.

Medraut is the engine of the deck as well as the primary method of setting-up. Think of it as a Summoner Monk that can get back the spell it detached: as you can a reattach Noble Arms equip spell from the grave to your monster when it is destroyed. He grabs any Knight from the deck and sets up various plays: obvious staple. Run 3

Noble Knight Borz(Lvl 4, Light, Warrior)
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field. While equipped with a "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Card, this card becomes an Effect Monster with this effect.● This card becomes DARK and its Level is increased by 1. During your Main Phase: You can reveal 3 "Noble Arms" cards from your Deck, have your opponent randomly add 1 of them to your hand, and send the rest to the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Noble Knight Borz" once per turn./i]

Another obvious staple, if Medraut searches out Knights, Borz searches out equip spells. Borz is a great deck thinner that gives the deck consistency, and along with Medraut, is the optimal turn 1 play. Run 3

Noble Knight Gawayn (Lvl 4, Light, Warrior)
If you control a LIGHT Normal Monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand) in face-up Defense Position.

Simple card: brings speed and swarming to the deck and works with most of the knights. He makes easy XYZ plays and is rarely a dead draw. Run 3

Noble Knight Peredur (Lvl 4, Light, Warrior)
While equipped with a "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Card, this card becomes DARK and its Level is increased by 1. When this card is sent to the Graveyard while equipped with a "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Card: Target 1 "Noble Arms" card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand.

One of the newer supports, Peredur has decent stats but best of all, works great with Gwenhywfar, Queen of Noble Knights.

Noble Knight Peredur (Lvl 4, Light, Warrior)
While equipped with a "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Card, this card becomes DARK and its Level is increased by 1. When this card is sent to the Graveyard while equipped with a "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Card: Target 1 "Noble Arms" card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand.

One of the newer supports, Peredur has decent stats but best of all, works great with Gwenhywfar, Queen of Noble Knights. Run 1-2

Noble Knight Drystan (Lvl 4, Light, Warrior)
While you control another “Noble Knight” monster, your opponent cannot target your monsters with less than 1800 ATK, except this card, for attacks or with card effects. When a “Noble Arms” Equip Spell Card is equipped to this card: Target 1 face-up card on the field; destroy that target. You can only use this effect of “Noble Knight Drystan” once per turn.

Drystan provides Noble Knights some removal and protection against targeting. This can be used both offensively and defensively and has a spot for most Noble Knight Builds. Run 2-3

Noble Knight Gwalchavad (Lvl 4, Light, Warrior)
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field. While equipped with a "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Card, this card becomes an Effect Monster with this effect. ● You can target 1 "Noble Knight" monster in your Graveyard; add it to your hand, and if you do, destroy 1 "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Card you control. You can only use this effect of "Noble Knight Gwalchavad" once per turn.

Gwalchavad provides some graveyard interaction and along with Drystan, it can produce one of the most powerful field setups. Run 1-2

Gwenhwyfar, Queen of Noble Arms (Lvl 2, Light, Spellcaster)
You can target 1 “Noble Knight” monster you control; equip this card from your hand or Graveyard to that target. You can only use this effect of “Gwenhwyfar, Queen of Noble Arms” once per turn. The equipped monster gains 300 ATK. Apply the Appropriate effect, depending on the Attribute of the equipped monster. ●LIGHT: If the equipped monster would be destroyed by a card effect, you can destroy this card instead. ●DARK: If the equipped monster battles an opponent’s monster, at the start of the Damage Step: You can destroy that monster, then destroy this card.

A new support for Noble Knights from Legacy of the Valiant: and it really helps out with the deck. Before this release, Noble Knights had a high reliance of Noble Arms; which in turn lead to slow plays and consistency issues. Oh and her 2 effects are also pretty good! There are some points to Gwenhwyfar that makes her a staple: Run 2

1. It can be searched by all Noble Knight search effects
2. Once you draw her, or get her in the graveyard with Borz, you are NEVER without a Noble Arms
3. Gwenhyfar has “Noble Arms” in her name, so equipping her to a Noble Knight will switch on all of his Noble Arms related effects
4. She equips to Noble Knights only, much like Noble Arms – Excaliburn, even if they’re transformed into Zombies or Beast-Warriors or whatever else by a card like D.N.A. Surgery or Zombie World
5. Gwenhwyfar will apply her effect for that Knight’s current Attribute, not the original Attribute. So Borz and Medraut would get her DARK effect

Artorigus, King of the Noble Knights (Rank 4, Light, Warrior)
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target up to 3 "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Cards with different names in your Graveyard; equip those targets to this card. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy any number of Spell/Trap Cards on the field, up to the number of "Noble Arms" Equip Spell Cards you control.

Quite fitting that our first XYZ will be King Arthur himself, you can think of this card as Arthur (Artorigus) without his sacred sword, Excalibur (Excaliburn). His ability to destroy back row makes it a very solid card to have in the Extra deck; especially with the introduction of his legendary counterpart. Run 2

Sacred Noble Knight of King Artorigus (Rank 5, Light, Warrior)
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target up to 3 “Noble Arms” Equip Spell Cards with different names in your Graveyard; equip those targets to this card. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 other monster on the field; destroy that target. If this card on the field is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Level 4 or higher “Noble Knight” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.

Opps! And here is that legendary counterpart. He has the same ability to attach noble arms from the graveyard as before but can now destroy a monster and acts as a floater when destroyed. Run 2

Noble Arms - Gallatin (Spell, Equip)
You can only control 1 face-up "Noble Arms - Gallatin". Equip only to a Warrior-Type monster. It gains 1000 ATK. During each of your Standby Phases, it loses 200 ATK. If this face-up card on the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 face-up Warrior-Type "Noble Knight" monster you control; equip this card to that target. This effect of "Noble Arms - Gallatin" can only be used once per turn.

Nice attack boost, but most of all, allows you to activate your Knight’s effect. Run 1-2

Noble Arms - Caliburn (Spell, Equip)
You can only control 1 face-up "Noble Arms - Caliburn". Equip only to a Warrior-Type monster. It gains 500 ATK. Once per turn: You can gain 500 Life Points. If this face-up card on the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Warrior-Type "Noble Knight" monster you control; equip this card to that target. You can only use this effect of "Noble Arms - Caliburn" once per turn.

Again, allows you to activate your knight’s effects and you can gain quite a bit of LP when combined with Medraut, Gwalchavad or Artorigus. Run 1-2

Noble Arms of Destiny (Spell, Equip)
You can only control 1 face-up "Noble Arms of Destiny". Equip only to a Warrior-Type monster. Once per turn, the equipped monster cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. If this face-up card on the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Warrior-Type "Noble Knight" monster you control; equip this card to that target. You can only use this effect of "Noble Arms of Destiny" once per turn.

‘Once per turn, the equipped Monster cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects’: need anything else? Run 2

Noble Arms – Arfeudutyr (Spell, Equip)
You can only control 1 face-up "Noble Arms - Arfeudutyr". Equip only to a Warrior-Type monster. Once per turn: You can target 1 Set card your opponent controls; the equipped monster permanently loses 500 ATK, and if it does, destroy that target. (The ATK loss remains even if this card leaves the field or the monster becomes unaffected by card effects.) If this face-up card on the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 face-up Warrior-Type "Noble Knight" monster you control; equip this card to that target. You can only use this effect of "Noble Arms - Arfeudutyr" once per turn.

Great card that can control the field, you can destroy any facedown for a small 500 attack points; great effect. Run 1-2

Noble Arms – Excaliburn (Spell, Equip)
Equip only to a "Noble Knight" monster. It cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effects. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Noble Knight" Xyz Monster you control; Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Noble Knight" Xyz Monster with a different name, by using that target as the Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon.) Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.) You can only use this effect of "Noble Arms - Excaliburn" once per turn.

Excalibur!!! I.. I mean Excaliburn (must be careful with all the copy right laws out there), while the first effect is very powerful, it’s true value lies in its second. Banishing this card allows you a free, legitimate XYZ upgrade of a Noble Knight monster, meaning you can trade in your extinguished King Artorigus for his Sacred King counterpart, or vice versa. Switching between a beater that clears away back row and a floater that can destroy monsters with its effect is just amazing.

(So… so many cards)

Other Cards

Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn
Lady of the Lake
Ignoble Knight of Black Laundsallyn
Honest
Summoner Monk
Reinforcement of the Army
Forbidden Lance
Foolish Burial
Imperial Iron Wall
Honest
Swords at Dawn

Deck Skeleton

Monsters
3 x Noble Knight Medraut
3 x Noble Knight Borz
3 x Noble Knight Gawayn
2 x Noble Knight Peredur
2 x Noble Knight Drystan
2 x Gwenhwyfar, Queen of Noble Arms
1-2 x Noble Knight Gwalchavad

Spells
1 x Foolish Burial
1 x Reinforcement of the Army
1 x Noble Arms - Caliburn
2 x Noble Arms - Gallatin
2 x Noble Arms of Destiny
1-2 x Noble Arms - Arfeudutyr
1-2 x Noble Arms - Excaliburn

There are many builds for Noble Knights but I put the skeleton up for what I believe is the most consistent. There are other builds that focus on Ignoble Knight of High Laundsallyn, Lady of the Lake and Ignoble Knight of Black Laundsallyn but that is a Synchro approach that I feel is inferior to the XYZ.

Countering Noble Knights

Noble Knights are very combo based and as a result, is very inconsistent when you rely on searching and setting up with monster effects which can be easily negated or destroyed. While Gwenhwyfar has certainly helped resolve this issue, it is undeniable that Noble Knights are still inconsistent compared to other competitive decks.

On the other hand, if Noble Knights gets their large variety of combos going they can finish the game pretty fast with their loops. One example is Artorigus and 3 Noble Arms (let’s say… Destiny, Excaliburn and something else), this normally equals to GG as the only real method to get rid of it will be to bounce or remove from play (that doesn’t target… see the horror?)

Like I mentioned before, counters aren’t normally that big of an issue for decks. However, this isn’t the case with Noble Knights and it’s often the case of: negate one monster, negate them all.

Another issue with the deck is the horrible hand control. In Noble Knights, once your hand is gone… it’s gone. They don’t have a method of restoring the hand.
This point isn’t exactly a weakness for the deck but an aspect that you can take advantage of. NK is undeniably an offensive deck, this isn’t a weakness but if you look at competitive decks this format there are three aspects I believe that are crucial to top.

1) Decks that can easily destroy back row and handle counters when they go for offensive plays
2) Decks that are very defensive and can shut down the opponent’s plays
3) Decks that can come back from a disadvantage and finish the game fast
Now I’m not saying that you need to be able to do all 3 to top, but the fact is most Noble Knights builds I see cannot handle Grind Games: which is what competitive dueling is about (unless your deck is OTK). This deck prefers to end games fast and can be quite risky.

Don’t get me wrong, Noble Knights are a deck I think will make a splash in the Meta soon, even tier 2 but at the moment I don’t see people using Noble Knights to their full potential, with most building it as more of a ‘fun’ deck rather than one suited for the competitive scene.

Anyway, enjoy dueling the deck before more people get a good idea of the build (I won’t be sharing mine Razz) and remember that they are very susceptible to counters and have very bad hand control.

Siding

The Emperors Holiday
Effect Veiler
Forbidden Lance
Macro Cosmos
Creature Swap
Anti-Spell Fragrance
Lava Golem
Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror
Book of Eclipse (TY Salik)

Think that covers most aspects, hope that answers most of your questions and I’ll see you in the next article.

Last edited by Decato on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Salik

Salik

Team : Anteiku

Duel Points : 100

Duel Season : 7-0-12

Duel Career : 194-0-91

YGOPro Name : Salik

Team Wars Gold
Squire
Battle Arena Silver
1st Division

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:32 pm
I can tell you guys a 1 card out to an entire Noble Knight set up, no matter how many Equip spells they have or how many Noble Knight Monsters... Book of Eclipse. Resolve that and running the set monsters over shouldn't be too hard... GG.

You're welcome Very Happy
Decato

Decato

Administrator

Team : Tricksters

Duel Points : 125

Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 138-0-35

YGOPro Name : Decato

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:47 pm
Didn't even think about that, thanks

Updated~
Pyro

Pyro

War Manager

Duel Points : 225

Duel Season : 7-0-6

Duel Career : 146-0-74

YGOPro Name : Pyro/SoulBurner

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
Noble Knight Guide 2ntv8so
1st Division

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:13 pm
lol nice guide, already collecting noble knights so I can build them IRL.... still they are so expensive =.=
I want more cards for them to come out so they are more consistent coz atm they are just... average. Since they released lady and queen, they might as well release merlin (as TCG exclusive) and give it an eff similar to angelly or ROTA
Chaos Creator

Chaos Creator

Team : Gimme 1

Duel Season : 5-0-12

Duel Career : 32-0-53

YGOPro Name : ChaosCreator

Weekly Bash Bronze
Squire
1st Division

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 pm
thx and nice read btw.
Pyro

Pyro

War Manager

Duel Points : 225

Duel Season : 7-0-6

Duel Career : 146-0-74

YGOPro Name : Pyro/SoulBurner

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:22 pm
Also there is another card that stops Noble knights and its DNA surgery. Since all the equip spells (except excaliburn) requires a warrior type monsters so if you call something thats.... not a warrior, they won't be able to equip the spells therefore stopping the plays.
simtem

simtem

Duel Season : 5-0-4

Duel Career : 9-0-15

YGOPro Name : Simtem

Weekly Bash Silver
Squire
1st Division

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:24 am
I underestimated this deck so much, it was a good read so thanks
I wonder what merlin will be since he is Arthur's adviser not knight...
Salik

Salik

Team : Anteiku

Duel Season : 7-0-12

Duel Career : 194-0-91

YGOPro Name : Salik

Team Wars Gold
Squire
Battle Arena Silver
1st Division

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:45 pm
Hey just realised another OP out to this deck, Swords of Concealing Light lol, does the same job as Book of Eclipse, wipes their field out, only difference is, it can be countered by MST but still a good card against Noble Knights.
simtem

simtem

Duel Season : 5-0-4

Duel Career : 9-0-15

YGOPro Name : Simtem

Weekly Bash Silver
Squire
1st Division

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:33 pm
Why the hate towards the Knights Salik, do you work for morgana?
Sponsored content

Noble Knight Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Noble Knight Guide   Noble Knight Guide Icon_m11

Noble Knight Guide

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1