Decato

Teacher

Team: Dreamstate

Duel Points: 21290

Duel Season: 0-0-0

Duel Career: 117-0-33

YGOPro Name: Decato

PostSubject: Chaos Dragon Guide   Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:03 am
Well Chaos Dragons are what we Dragon users always wished for: A Dragon deck that can actually win tournaments. Of course we tried; Hopeless, Disaster (which had some success) and then of course Dragunities, though whether we can call that a dragon deck is debatable.

The idea of Chaos Dragons is quite simple; mix the Spamming power of Red-Eyes Darkness Metal, the mill power of LS and Future Fusion, together with the old powerful chaos monsters or the new chaotic dragons (lightpulsar,darkflare). In a way, this is the evolved deck from Disaster Dragons.

The play style of Chaos Dragons is a fast-pace aggro; often leading to OTKs. I'll go over the basic cards that make this deck possible, sample deck skeleton and weaknesses of this deck.

Main cards

Eclipse Wyvern (Lvl 4, Light, Dragon)

If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Banish 1 Level 7 or higher LIGHT or DARK Dragon-Type monster from your Deck. If this card in the Graveyard is banished: You can add the monster banished by this effect to your hand.

It's milled, destroyed by battle... I'll just remove REDMD or DAD so I can add it back to my hand. Quite simple and genius.

Darkflare Dragon (Lvl 5, Dark, Dragon)

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard. Once per turn: You can send 1 Dragon-Type monster from your hand and 1 Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, then target 1 card in either player's Graveyard; banish that target.

It's a chaos monster so you can special summon with ease from the graveyard, linking well with eclipse or REDMD. If Lightpulsar, REDMD, and the other Chaos monsters are the ones making the big plays, this is the one doing to work to let that happen. It's your own foolish burial, and can remove any bothersome monsters from your opponent's graveyard, or remove your own eclipse to use its effect. (Note: you cannot discard eclipse or send it to the grave and then remove that same straight away as it creates a new chain) Don't be
fooled, it may not seem like much, or when your opponent's bring this out you may think 'at least its not something else'; when this is out, the duel will only get harder.

Lightpulsar Dragon (Level 6, Light, Dragon)

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monsters from your Graveyard. You can Special Summon this card (from your Graveyard) by sending 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monsters from your hand to the Graveyard. When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Level 5 or higherDARK Dragon-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.

Yes, you read its effects right, does it seem too good to be true? Well, welcome to Konami's world. Many duelists have been screaming for this card to be hit by the banlist and its not hard to see why. It creates the infamous REDMD lock; use REDMD to get Lightpulsar and when Lightpulsar dies, get REDMD back to continue the lock.

Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon (Level 10, Dark, Dragon)

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 face-up Dragon-Type monster you control. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard, except "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon".

Hmm... it really is self-explanatory isn't it? Monster with a built-in reborn every turn easily special summoned. This is the card that made Dragons playable and is a must have in all Dragon decks.

Chaos Monsters

Dark Armed Dragon
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
Chaos Sorcerer

These monsters are needed for the final push, if you see them and you don't have a way out... run away :p

Lightsworn Engine

Lyla
Ryko
Charge of the Light Brigade
Solar Recharge
Card Trooper

Apart from Future Fusion, this is the engine that keeps the deck's milling going. Others run more LS and maybe JD for a twilight approach but this is the most basic way.

Spells

Allure of Darkness

It's a good drawing card, especially as we don't, and shouldn't run any pot of dualities.

Future Fusion

What can I say more about this card? Choose any 5 Dragons you want for the grave. If you manage to use this card, you are in for a massive advantage.

Sample Deck Skeleton

I won't post my deck, but I'll post the main engine and the cards you need for the deck to work. You won't get a good idea unless you try different versions yourself and think over what to run.

2 x REDMD
3 x Lightpulsar
2 x Eclipse Wyvern
2 x Darkflare
3 x Lyla
3 x Ryko
3 x Solar Recharge
1 x Card Trooper
1 x Charge of the Light Brigade
1 x Allure of Darkness
1 x Future Fusion

This Format

1 x REDMD
3 x Lightpulsar
3 x Darkflare
3 x Lyla
3 x Ryko
3 x Solar Recharge
2 x Card Trooper
1 x Charge of the Light Brigade
1 x Allure of Darkness
2 x Tour Guide of the Underworld
1 x Sangan

Weaknesses

Well we talked about the pros of Chaos Dragons, but how do we counter them?

Like it was mentioned before, Chaos Dragons are a very explosive aggro deck. Therefore, the longer the duel drags on, the greater their momentum will decrease. Hit their key cards, try and banish lightpulsar rather than REDMD as REDMD is rarely gone for long either way. If you can drag out the match, all the while having them use up their own resources and counter their moves, the match is essentially yours. Chaos Dragons rarely use traps, if there is a facedown, it will most likely be forbidden lance or a MST.

Remember, Chaos Dragons rely on the graveyard, if you see your opponent with a full hand but no materials in the grave to banish, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Therefore, cards like Necrovalley, Imperial Iron Wall, Dimensional Fissure, DD Crow, Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer is great sides and if you get them out it's hard for the opponent to recover; apart from lyla and ryko possibly. Other sides useful are Electric Virus, Victoria to steal their dragons and ironically, Koaki Meiru Drago (A key card in Disaster Dragons) can totally shut of the deck. Another tip is the side Soul Taker; while other destruction cards will enable Lightpulsar to use its effect, soul taker will cause it to lose its timing, stopping it from special summoning REDMD or Darkflare.

In conclusion, Chaos Dragons are a fast and powerful deck which relies on special summons from the graveyard. If you are against one, counter the important moves like Future Fusion and don't waste too many resources on REDMD if you have the choice; they will always find a way to come back.

The New Season

-1 Future Fusion
-2 Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
-2 Chaos Sorcerer

Yes, it can be said Chaos Dragons are hurt. The loss of future fusion hits us quite hard, but I believe that Chaos Dragons are still one of the decks to look out for. Call me biased if you wish, with Future Fusion and 1 REDMD Chaos Dragons loses a lot of explosiveness which lead to frequent otks. But Replace them with cards such as Reasoning (which is back at 2) and even if it won't OTK all the time, you have a deck that remains dangerous. Chaos Dragons have been hit hard, and in order to keep up with the decks a more control approach will need to be taken (or a whole new style all together)

Last edited by Decato on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:55 am; edited 2 times in total
-xXPAINXx-

Duel Points: 100

Duel Career: 0-0-0

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:46 pm
Lawl, not sure if my article was paraphrased or not, but if so, I am honoured Very Happy

A pretty well-written guide, though there are some changes that have happened since pre-September. One thing that definitely has changed since the ban list that may be worth mentioning is that now, going after Red-Eyes may be the wiser move. We are only allowed one, after all, and if anything happens to it, we're screwed XD Also, with the limit on both Red-Eyes and Chaos Sorc, some(including myself) have found enough room to fit in the likes of Judgement Dragon. Just a thought

YGO PRO Themes:

BigZac

Ra Yellow

Duel Points: 0

Duel Career: 0-0-1

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:23 pm
run Divine Dragon Apocralyph and Burial from a D.D.

If REDMD gets banished, put it back in the grave, so Lightpulsar can fetch it if he gets destroyed, if you don't have pulsar onfield, just resummon REDMD with Apocralyph.

1. Normal summon Apocralyph
2. Discard a card to put REDMD back in hand.
3. bounce Apoc for REDMD.
4. Profit.

UkU 4Lyfe
-xXPAINXx-

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:01 am
BigZac wrote:
run Divine Dragon Apocralyph and Burial from a D.D.

If REDMD gets banished, put it back in the grave, so Lightpulsar can fetch it if he gets destroyed, if you don't have pulsar onfield, just resummon REDMD with Apocralyph.

1. Normal summon Apocralyph
2. Discard a card to put REDMD back in hand.
3. bounce Apoc for REDMD.
4. Profit.

Lulz. I love doing the Apocralyph play. Though keep in mind,you're only allowed a single copy each of Red-Eyes and Burial from DD. The odds of getting that DD when you need it, more so in a mill deck like Chaos Dragons, are very slim. If I had a choice, I'd rather run Escape from the Dark Dimension. Both aren't all that good in a mill deck,though. Just a thought.

YGO PRO Themes:

AsianGuy1137

Obelisk Blue

Team: Super Friends

Duel Points: 300

Duel Career: 9-0-8

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:09 am
WAIT... you mean you DON'T run Dimensional Alchemist to fetch your banished cards? Huh...

"Why do I duel? Because I made a promise. A promise of two dreams joined in the hope of a brighter tomorrow..."
Decato

Teacher

Team: Dreamstate

Duel Points: 21290

Duel Career: 117-0-33

YGOPro Name: Decato

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:49 am
*Updated with Skeleton for this format*

Darkanen

Ra Yellow

Duel Points: 50

Duel Career: 0-0-10

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:06 pm
A point to mention, because future fusion as been banned, and red eyes darkness metal dragon limited by 1, it's become a little more difficult to play Chaos Dragon Deck.

For my point, my Chaos Dragon Deck is a traditionnal deck, and I use Chaos Emperor Dragon instead of Black Luster Soldier, so I can have it to my hand in my first turn with Eclipse Wyvern. Also, I can OTK someone with my combo:

I use future fusion, painfull choice or gracefull charity (etc) to get rid of 1 or 2 dark and 1 or 2 light (preference eclipse wyverns). I use their effect to banish chaos emperor and red eyes metal. I summon lightpulsar with his effect, getting to my hand chaos emperor. Then I summon him, so I get my red eyes metal. I summon a dragon (anyone) and banish it to summon red eyes. I use the effect of chaos emperor to get out all cards and inflict damage. Because he as been send to the graveyard, my lightpulsar use his effect, and I summon red eyes to my field. I just have to use his effect to summon lightpulsar dragon or, better, blue-eyes white dragon, since I have 3 of them in my deck.

AsianGuy1137

Obelisk Blue

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:27 pm
That's nice, but most people don't use banned cards or play traditional. I think a section should be included with possible techs. The guide on pojo is very in depth and professional-looking in addressing everything needed to know about the primer. Might be helpful as a guide to writing a guide.

"Why do I duel? Because I made a promise. A promise of two dreams joined in the hope of a brighter tomorrow..."
-xXPAINXx-

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:01 am
AsianGuy1137 wrote:
WAIT... you mean you DON'T run Dimensional Alchemist to fetch your banished cards? Huh...
They have more than enough Lights crowding the deck. I will grant that Alchemist is a nice tech card, but it takes two turns to get the card you need off of it, and Chaos Dragons prefer to get their kills hard and fast.

YGO PRO Themes:

AsianGuy1137

Obelisk Blue

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 am
How consistently do you think it is to pull off OTKs now? And how exactly does it take two turns? Do you want me to give you a list of competitive Chaos Dragon decks that have made top 8 maining this card?

-xXPAINXx-

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:38 am
AsianGuy1137 wrote:
How consistently do you think it is to pull off OTKs now? And how exactly does it take two turns? Do you want me to give you a list of competitive Chaos Dragon decks that have made top 8 maining this card?
Not as consistently as before, but it's still there. One can usually swipe for around half or more LP in a turn. You have to place said Alchemists on the field first and then wait for it to get destroyed during the opponent's turn. A list would be nice, yes. I haven't been up to date on Yugioh as of late.

YGO PRO Themes:

AsianGuy1137

Obelisk Blue

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:02 am
The main strategy now isn't to overwhelm your opponent, that's rarely what anyone tries to do. Rather, you gather your components and just beatdown on the opponent over the course of a few turns. More backrow hate is also being run now for that reason. Waiting for Alchemist to get destroyed is the most efficient way of doing it. You usually suicide against the weakest monster when they have a clear backrow, which is surprinsgly often at the point when they've spent their resources dealing with your main threats. As for decklists, look up YCS Indy/Providence top 8.

-xXPAINXx-

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Dragon Guide   Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:37 pm
AsianGuy1137 wrote:
The main strategy now isn't to overwhelm your opponent, that's rarely what anyone tries to do. Rather, you gather your components and just beatdown on the opponent over the course of a few turns. More backrow hate is also being run now for that reason. Waiting for Alchemist to get destroyed is the most efficient way of doing it. You usually suicide against the weakest monster when they have a clear backrow, which is surprinsgly often at the point when they've spent their resources dealing with your main threats. As for decklists, look up YCS Indy/Providence top 8.
Huh...They've become quite a bit slower, then. I'll have to start trying out Alchemist myself sometime. Though going into Battle Phase just to crash a monster isn't really my style, I suppose it can work in your favour.

YGO PRO Themes:

Chaos Dragon Guide

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chaos Era Academy ::  ::  :: -