Duel Points : 100

Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 16-0-4

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Gold
1st Division

Another day at WCQ:Regionals Empty
PostSubject: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:53 pm
Hey people - how's it going? Here's another one of my tournament reports.

Once again I was attending a WCQ:Regionals event - this last Tuesday.
With this new format it promised to be a much more versatile event - so I was up for the challenge with my Fire Fist deck.

Jumping straight to the action:

Round 1 - I'm matched vs. a kid that uses Dark World.
Well, this one wasn't too difficult - in the first duel he didn't draw a good hand and I quickly negated his Zenmaines with Tiger King to get a fast win.

The 2nd duel I started with D-Fissure first hand - luckily he had no "Dragged down" to strip me of it - once it was in place it was over pretty fast. He tried to activate Dragged Down after it was in place and then when I discarded his Snoww to the banished zone he was like "Oh yeah...". lol

Another day at WCQ:Regionals 300px-DimensionalFissure-RYMP-EN-ScR-1E
A good start for the day with the help of the now limited D-Fissure.

Yay, I've finally stopped my tendency to lose my 1st round matches like in most previous tournies I played in.

Moving on to Round 2 - I'm vs. a Lightsworn player.
Duel 1 - He starts with Jain face up - luckily he mills nothing useful on the end phase. I use bear on my turn to get rid of Jain. On his next play he summons Lumina to return Jain, my Maxx "C" at least gives me a draw for it. This time though he mills Ryko, Gorz and Gardna - the risk for JD is becoming real.
On my next play I manage to get another bear on board along with Rooster he opts out of using Gardna so I clear his field again; he has 3 LS in grave now.
On his turn he summons Lyla - for which I had a bottomless waiting. Then he goes for BLS - I veiler him so he can only attack my Bear. This leaves me with a lot of play options on my turn - and I get rid of BLS and eventually take the game when he's stuck with at least one JD in hand.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals BottomlessTrapHole-LCYW-EN-UR-1E
A timely bottomless saves the duel.

Duel 2 - He starts with some nice millings along with a sided mind crash which drops Spirit from my hand. His plusses were too big and I lose pretty fast.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals MindCrush-LCYW-EN-UR-1E
A timely mind crash takes the game.

Duel 3 - I start with this one with the Combo of Horse Prince getting Rooster on board with Rooster adding Bear to my hand. But again he starts with some nice millings with lumina and garoth - even drawing two with garoth's effect and then he double mind crashes me on Bear and Wolfbark.
Luckily I have Tenki which gets me Dragon that revives Bear from the Grave - I manage to kill his two monsters but now he has 4 LS in grave. So, I look at the extra deck and what do you know Steelswarm Roach is there - how convenient. I summon it and ride it to victory - he didn't manage to draw into Ryko or Dark Hole and his JD in hand couldn't be summoned.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals SteelswarmRoach-CT09-EN-SR-LE
Steelswarm Roach makes a rare appearance to insure the win!

Round 3 - I'm facing Inzektors. In advance I know this is a very tough match up for me
Duel 1 - I manage to go back and forth a few turns, but it turns out he mains Dust Tornado in additional to the 3 MST and he takes out my last play that could save myself with dust on Tensu.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals DustTornado-YS13-EN-C-1E
An unexpected dust tornado proves effective!

Duel 2 - I start without monsters but with a few hand traps including Craw on his call of the haunted play. Then he uses another Call to revive Ryko on which I respond with Maxx "C" - he has no choice but to play immitation and eventually he leaves me on low LP but with a full hand of Tenki, Tensu and Gorilla. I use them to clear his field and summon Cardinal to shuffle lady bug and hornet back to the deck. From there the duel was mine.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals 300px-MaxxC-CT09-EN-SR-LE
When Maxx "C" works it's always nice.

Duel 3 - We both have a slow start. I know he has a Ryko face down but I opt to not use dark hole - he flips it and gets immitation for centipede, but no follow up with equips. I summon Spirit and use its effect but he chains Maxx "C" - so having rekindling and dark hole in hand I stop summoning to wait for next turn. It was a gamble here - but unfortunately he tops foolish and drops hornet in grave which means he OTKs me.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals InzektorDragonfly-ORCS-EN-R-1E
The Dragonfly combos are still potent as ever!

Round 4 - I'm vs. Chaos Dragons

Duel 1 - It turns out he mains Battle Faders, so he stops my Bear from getting the search effect. Then he gets some monsters on - but I take control back and attack into a Gorz that I expected will turn out at some point; but I have mirror force to take care of it so I wasn't worried. At the end he summons BLS, he knows I have Tensen so he just banishes one of my monsters - but on my turn it's over when I summon another monster.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals MirrorForce-YS13-EN-SR-1E
Sometimes all it takes is the old reliable staple.

Duel 2 - My first hand isn't really good but luckily - after he plays Solars recharges he doesn't manage to mill any dark monster; so I can slowly attack him. Finally he summons Lyla, use its effect to break one of my face downs and mills 2 darks at the end phase.
But I couldn't let him have that - so I summon Cardinal and shuffle his 2 darks back to the deck. Then on his turn he summons Pulsar from the grave by sending a light and dark from hand - then he banishes eclipse and the dark to get another pulsar and fetch REDMD from eclipse effect - so he has REDMD and Pulsar on board and kills my cardinal.
On my move I draw Fossil Dyna - so I set it and a Prison. His turn, he attacks with pulsar but I activate prison on it - then he opts out of attacking with REDMD - but it doesn't matter - on my turn I flip summon Dyna to destroy REDMD and summon Gorilla - I had enough attack to end the game - and any potential Gorz/Trago/Fader he might have held were useless due to Dyna.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals FossilDynaPachycephalo-CT08-EN-SR-LE
Dyna, Still a good card vs. decks that rely on special summons!

Round 5 - I'm facing Blackwings
Duel 1 - I open with Panther that fetches Tenki to put Spirit in my hand and put Mirror force down. He plays Zephyros which gets mirrored. My turn I play the spirit to revive panther and from there Horse prince which he chose to bottomless but summons Rooster anyway to fetch bear to my hand. I attack for some damage. His turn he plays Shura - which I veiler so he special summons bora and kills both my monsters and end with Maestroke.
On my turn I play Wolfbark, revive bear - go for Tiger King which places Tenki on my field. Negate maestroke with Tiger's effect - fetch Dragon and use its effect to re-summon bear. Bear gets rid of Maestroke and all attack for game.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals BrotherhoodoftheFireFistTigerKing-CBLZ-EN-UR-1E
Tiger King opens up the big plays!

Duel 2 - This was really a good one. At the start he was in the lead; all I managed to do was to lock one of his face downs with Gyoku. I smelled a Blizzard in his hand and wanted to draw it out so I set Consecrated light; it worked, he summoned blizzard and went for armed wing - he attacks and I'm safe. From there I take control back - then he summons Maxx C to try and kill Consecrated light; i use warning. Then I attack for some more damage but again he summons Maxx C - this time I can't stop it and I lose my monsters.
Next I have a play for Tiger King - and attack for some more damage. He has one non-blocked S/T - I take a risk and summon consecrated light on main phase 2 - and its Torrential - risk didn't pay off. However I chain Tensen so I have 3 face up formations and this let's me use Tiger King's effect from the grave to summon bear and Gorilla. And I go into a 2nd tiger king.
On his next turn he uses duality - and he gets a saving card - he reveals Gladius and sets it. My move - I didn't draw another monster - all I can do is attack the face down Gladius and it isn't destroyed. On his turn he draws another level 3 monster and XYZ into Acid Golem to run over my tiger.
At this point I have less than 3000 LP. All I can do in my turn is set the Spirit I drew; on his play he detaches one from Acid golem; he also doesn't get a monster so he attacks my spirit.
My turn - I draw Rekindling - this doesn't help for the moment so I set my last monster - D.D. Crow. On his turn - he takes the 2000 damage from acid and attacks the crow.
He has now one face down blocked with Gyoku and 2 non-blocked S/Ts. This is my last chance to do something - I draw Panther! Summon it - and get Gyoku - I block one of his S/T - and then play rekindling and synch to horse prince which summons rooster that gets bear. I have Tensu face up so I can summon bear and get rid of acid golem with its effect; then I attack for game.
After the duel is over he shows me the blocked Prison and Icaurus - his other face down was black whirl wind.
Tough wins like these are always nice.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals 300px-BrotherhoodoftheFireFistLeopard-LTGY-EN-C-1E
Sometimes top decking the smallest monster proves to be a winner!

Round 6 - I'm facing Gravekeepers now.

Duel 1 - I start with the Spirit+Panther+Tensu combo - and he starts with no monsters and without necrovalley. All he can do is set a lot of back row - but I win it pretty fast.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals BrotherhoodoftheFireFistSpirit-CBLZ-EN-R-1E
Starting with the now limited Spirit sets up the win from turn 1!

Duel 2 - This one was a grinder - we both start with major back rows and it takes forever to get something going. Eventually - he flips skill drain which stops me from doing anything with my monsters - but he has two face up "dead" fiendish chains and two other face downs locked with Gyokus. He also has necrovalley on board.
So, it came to him heaving two commandnats and a face down spy - I finally draw MST - have to play it on Necrovalley so I can use rekindling and get Horse Prince. But I someohow forget that I can now overpower commandant with wolfbark now that necrovalley is off the field. This allows him to go into Gem-Knight Pearl the next turn to finish me.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals Necrovalley-LCYW-EN-UR-1E
Necrovalley still blocks grave based plays as always.

Since this duel took a long time - end of match was called before we could get to duel 3 - so it ended in a tie.

Round 7 - I'm facing Agents.
Duel 1 - I start the game with Tiger King summon - when I try to use his effect he negates with Orange light. Then on his turn he gets venus but I chain maxx "C" so he stops summoning.
On my play I block his 1 face down with Gyoku - then I manage to get rid of his monsters. But again he uses Orange Light - this time on my Bear. After that he uses duality to take Hyperion to his hand. I knew he would try to remove Gyoku next turn so I activate a 2nd gyoku on the same face down. I didn't have nothing else to play - all I got left was Veiler in hand and some formations face up; I had 4400 LP left.
So, on his next turn he summons the Hypeiron and destroys one Gyoku - then he summons trooper and mills 3 - but I have veiler to keep it at 400 ATK so I won't lose. Then he says - hope you don't draw Tenki.
And what do you know - I draw my last chance card and its Tenki!! I get bear and from there control shifts back to me for the eventual win.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals FireFormationTenki-AP03-EN-UtR-UE
Top deck Tenki!!!

Duel 2 - He starts with too many resources while I don't have much to do - it is over pretty quickly with a win for him with Tour guides into leviair and master hyperion.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals MasterHyperion-GLD5-EN-GUR-LE
Hyperion - still a boss!

Duel 3 - This time he doesn't have agents in his first hand - all he can do is negate my monsters effects twice with orange light but that leaves him low on resources. I don't remember exactly but I think I then play Rekindling to get some major precense on board and he doesn't draw into anything that can stop me so the win goes for me.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals Rekindling-SDOK-EN-C-1E
Recycling the negated monsters was enough!

Round 8 - This was the last round and at this point both me and my opponent (a friend using Ruler-Plants) were already assured of a top 8 place since there were not enough players ranked below us that could bypass us on the rankings.
So - this one was only for the record; I ended up with the W.

Well - that ended the important part of the tournament - I finished 2nd on the Swiss only behind the Inzektor player that beat me on the 3rd round - he went unbeaten the entire tourney - perfect 8 out of 8.
This means I insured an invite to the European championship next summer - so I'm happy.

After that we had the top 8 playoffs - it's not part of the Regional's official result - it's just to play for some more booster prizes.
I was matched up vs. a Dragon Ruler deck with Ravine and all those small tuners which also mains Skill Drains.
Unfortunately this major lucker opened twich with skill drain first hand - and of course I didn't draw into any MSTs in this match at all - so I got luck sacked big time there and was out of the playoffs.

Another day at WCQ:Regionals SkillDrain-TU08-EN-UR-UE
Skill Drain sent me packing...

The Inzektor player won the playoffs too - totalling 11 for 11 on the day - pretty cool achievement.

And.. that's all for this report - hope you've enjoyed the read.
NickV

NickV

Administrator

Team : Toxic Flamingos

Duel Season : 1-0-2

Duel Career : 45-0-24

YGOPro Name : NickV

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Silver
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:17 pm
Congratulations on second place and nice write up. I like the fact that you faced a different deck every round; definitely shows how versatile this format is.
Austin

Austin

Duel Season : 0-0-1

Duel Career : 39-0-14

YGOPro Name : Austin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
Another day at WCQ:Regionals 2ntv8so
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:09 pm
nice read lord , and cong on 2nd place. And who would know inzektors can be that good this format Razz
Eheroduelist

Eheroduelist

Team : MASTER MINDS

Duel Career : 2-0-3

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:41 pm
Grats on 2nd, and at least you got some nice dueling action that day.

Sabbaticus

Sabbaticus

Founder

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Career : 32-0-5

YGOPro Name : Sabbaticus

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:22 pm
Contratz on the top! You should show a pic of the mat you won as a prize Smile

Since you lost in top 8 doesn't that mean you came between 5th-8th?
Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Team : None

Duel Season : 13-0-6

Duel Career : 43-0-27

YGOPro Name : Dovahkiin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:53 pm
Congrats Lord! Victory Really interesting read i am so happy that people aren't using the same decks anymore ..

This format has a bright future lol
LordMelchett

LordMelchett

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Gold
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:57 pm
Thanks for the comments people!

Sabbaticus wrote:
Contratz on the top! You should show a pic of the mat you won as a prize Smile
Regarding the mat - I'll take a pic once I receive it. Konami are almost always late with sending us the prize packs; hopefully it will arrive soon.

Sabbaticus wrote:

Since you lost in top 8 doesn't that mean you came between 5th-8th?
Yes, from playoff perspective I finished at 5-8 - but the reported tournament results that are sent to Konami are only for the Swiss (officially there are no playoffs on Regional events); so in the reported scores I'm on 2nd place.
Salik

Salik

Team : Anteiku

Duel Season : 7-0-12

Duel Career : 194-0-91

YGOPro Name : Salik

Team Wars Gold
Squire
Battle Arena Silver
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:11 am
Nice read, congrats on second... 1 question though.. why run Dragon when you have Wolfbark?
Liyana

Liyana

Duel Season : 8-0-1

Duel Career : 75-0-48

YGOPro Name : Liyana

YCC Bronze
Order of Chaos
Battle Arena Bronze
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:12 am
Congratz mate, taking the fire fists all the way!!
LordMelchett

LordMelchett

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Gold
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 am
Salik wrote:
Nice read, congrats on second... 1 question though.. why run Dragon when you have Wolfbark?
Sometimes you need to use the effect of the monster you're summoning from the grave - and also Wolfbark only summons in defense mode.
Having both Dragon and Wolfbark gives more flexibility. Also, sometimes Dragon can fetch Tensen from the deck with his effect.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another day at WCQ:Regionals   Another day at WCQ:Regionals Icon_m11

Another day at WCQ:Regionals

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1