Duel Points : 100

Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 0-0-2

Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos 2ntv8so
Squire
1st Division

Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos Empty
PostSubject: Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos   Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos Icon_m11Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 am
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. I am your host, soon-to-be Pharmacist, Obscurum Mutteria and welcome to my first "Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week"(For future reference, if I keep posting these I will shorten it to O.B.C.o.t.W. for the sake of space and efficiency). Now, in these segments I will obviously cover banned/forbidden cards that are just outright ridiculously broken or were exploitable with other combinations involved in this exploitable mess of a game. Now, here's our guest!

Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos DarkMagicianofChaos-BP01-EN-R-1E

Name - Dark Magician of Chaos
Attribute - DARK
Level - * * * * * * * *
Type - Spellcaster/Effect
Attack - 2800
Defense - 2600
Effect: When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 Spell Card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. Banish any monster destroyed by battle with this card. If this face-up card would leave the field, banish it instead.

I'll get the biased opinions out of the way... It's friggin' awesome! It has Chaos in it's name! HO SHIZZ! It also comes with an awesome black leather suit! 2800 Attack! Free Spell! HOLY CRAP! I WANT IT OFF THE BAN LIST! HURRY UP KONAMI!... err... hm... *cough*... Anyways.

Now, before we begin debating how much veterans of the game hate this bondage baby. No, I was not around for the game breaking engine which he simply exploited by constant recycling and tributing to decrease your opponents life points to get game nor did I ever experience it, but what I do know is this card is not the tyrant it once used to be. Even in a game with plenty of swarm potential, this bad boy does not fair in comparison or use with the much 1-4-1 destruction or removal provided by today's game... BUT! There is an ugly side...

It is the recent Spellcaster archetype released known as Prophecy/Magicals, TCG and OCG respectively. This archetype when combined with Spellbooks simply make Spellcasters more useable in focused builds, with DMoC making a highly unwanted return(if ever). The Prophecy builds may use him to recycle Monster Reborn or whatever staple spell that the Prophecies can not recycle naturally and provide them with a 2800 Attack beatstick (3800 Attack if combined with Spellbook of Power) allowing it to mow over most monsters with much ease.

Now that I have brought this to your attention you are probably shaking in your boots not wanting for this kinky fellow to come back, well fear not! For he is not splashable in just ANY build like it's other Chaos Brethren(i.e.; Chaos Sorcerer, BLS-EotB, etc.)! That is a major downside to DMoC in today's game; Even in a focused D.D.R. build, DMoC will simply not be consistent enough to be able to even see the field let alone pummel you. Most Monarch builds rarely provide 2 tribute material as they simply focus on 1 for 1 tribute to gain them easy advantage and even if they manage to get out DMoC, Light and Darkness Dragon is a much better alternative and safer choice for them. Other Spellcaster builds which do not run Spellbooks(such as my Chaos Variant) do tend to use Magical Dimension, which might force missed timings which prevents DMoC to reach for that tempting Heavy Storm in the graveyard.

Sadly while my argument may cover various weaknesses to this once feared behemoth, the argument does not go untouched... Spellbook Variants/Prophecy Builds can really use him and with a mini-Dark Armed Dragon at their disposal, this must wait in the forbidden list until something simply knocks them down a peg and even if such were to happen, many will not be ready for this to hit back until something is done about our somewhat unbalanced Spell Staples.

Obscurum's thoughts: Does this card deserve to be unbanned? It should have been limited the instance it's brother, Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, saw the limit at 1. With DMoC at 1, it would be fair and slow.

Other Individual thoughts:
Should not see 1 until Prophecies are hit!

Based on how well this segment does, I will conduct another. Feedback and thoughts greatly appreciated.
Liyana

Liyana

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Season : 8-0-1

Duel Career : 75-0-48

YGOPro Name : Liyana

YCC Bronze
Order of Chaos
Battle Arena Bronze
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos   Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos Icon_m11Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:07 am
Great review it was a nice read Smile

Though i doubt Dmoc will ever come back and highly unlikley Prophecies will get hit, they are too slow imo for the current meta game, which will sweep that deck of its feet.

But yea great review Smile
Decato

Decato

Administrator

Team : Tricksters

Duel Points : 125

Duel Career : 138-0-35

YGOPro Name : Decato

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos   Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos Icon_m11Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:41 am
Nice to actually be reading these rather than writing them :p

Regards to DMOC, Monster Reborn and DMOC will never co-exist in the meta. In general I agree with you, don't think DMOC will cause a big stir on the meta. Good review!
Obscurum

Obscurum

Team : No Team Affiliation

Duel Career : 0-0-2

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos   Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos Icon_m11Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:28 am
Thank you both for your input.

And I have a feeling such a thing might be the issue, but Konami does tend to "troll" us with some cards coming off the banlist.

But, DMoC might just stay there to look pretty.
Rai-Jinn

Rai-Jinn

Team : None O.O

Duel Career : 12-0-9

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos   Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos Icon_m11Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:43 am
v.v i want this on my spellbooks lol so itll be a lil bit consistent at least xD
plus beast vs spellbooks=gg so yea why even bother xD nice review though Smile
NickV

NickV

Administrator

Team : Toxic Flamingos

Duel Season : 1-0-2

Duel Career : 45-0-24

YGOPro Name : NickV

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Silver
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos   Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos Icon_m11Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:27 pm
Decato wrote:
Nice to actually be reading these rather than writing them :p

Regards to DMOC, Monster Reborn and DMOC will never co-exist in the meta. In general I agree with you, don't think DMOC will cause a big stir on the meta. Good review!

Wrong, it opens up a lot of spellcaster (OTK) potential. In the early days I ran a very consistent OTK deck with spellcasters alone on an online Byond game and people tended to avoid me. Razz Even now that the meta has changed, I still feel like that (kind of) deck would still be magical.
cagethedarkmaster

cagethedarkmaster

Duel Season : 0-0-1

Duel Career : 45-0-54

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos   Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos Icon_m11Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:36 pm
actually the deck can do pretty much the same dimension fusion combo, just with D.D.R. instead. Thanks to Reasoning hitting 2 per deck, dmoc will be substantially easier to summon in this format than in, say, the last 20 formats overall. (exaggerating, I'm sure) DMOC would see plenty of board time, what with the gold sarc/ddr/hidden armory combo, and monster gate, and reasonings, there's really no reason to put it back on the list. it's too beefy and too easy to abuse.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos   Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos Icon_m11

Obscurum's Banned Card of the Week #0: Dark Magician of Chaos

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1