Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 32-0-5

YGOPro Name : Sabbaticus

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Empty
PostSubject: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 pm

WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  1y5s9w
The 2013 Regionals mat

WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  6i8znc
The prizes and what was pulled from the packs

WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  2vufnt0
The build I entered with

So I entered a Regionals this weekend despite being horribly sick and in pain. Unfortunately feeling even worse the day before I couldn't enter the neighbouring city's Regionals the day before. It was a fun event however and I'm glad I went, lots of good competition seeing that I hadn't played irl for a couple weeks. I had some unfortunate bad luck but I'm happy with the result regardless, my only goal for the event was to get top 8 and win a playmat, anything more than that was just bonus.

Swiss Rounds
I won't go into too much detail with a report or anything. Just a brief summary. During swiss I was only really afraid of being sacked by Dark Worlds and hit with viruses, and maybe the Sams match up since TCG doesn't have Armor Kappa yet and I was running Undine Mermails. My first match up was Sams but luckily the guy didn't have a lot of experience against Mermails which allowed me to take advantage and win. I ended up having a few mirror matches during swiss but I wasn't too worried about them since I was very confident for the mirror having a lot of experience with the deck and how to win in the mirror. I was however a little weary for going up against Mono Mermails, just because that build is a lot faster, and makes bigger players, easier Big Eyes, easier Abyssgaios, both of which are amazing in the mirror. I did end up going 2-0 against Mono Mermails and 2-1 against the rest of the mirrors.
My losses were to Fire Fist Rabbit with removal and going Sabersauraus for Evol Xyz's, and a 1 duel match where I was about to win having 2 Big Eyes on the field as well as his Machina Fortress, he only had 1 Gadget in hand, and on his draw topped Dark Hole. After duel 1 he took the full time to side and did the slowest shuffle in history leading to going to time and me getting an auto-loss to avoid a double loss.

Top 8
During Top 8 I thought I was about to loose but game 3 just turned out a win against Karakuri OTK having drawn the most bizarre and horrible hand game 2, double Infantry, Marksman, Gunde, double Salvage and getting no Spike, Sphere, Megalo or anything for the entire game. Top 4 was against Ninja Hieratics and due to the match up made it a very one sided game. Finals was unfortunate, faced one of the best players in the country who frequents European Championships by invite, and the worst part is it was a mirror. I was confident for mirrors and more so because I did beat him during swiss rounds despite him having turn 1 Gorz for games 1 and 2 during those. Game 1 Finals I left him with 1100 LP and went into Abyssgaios and a Linde, with a set MST, he had Diva and Sphere in his hand, would be my game, unfortunately he topped Dark Hole with his draw allowing him to go with Diva and winning building momentum from there. Game 2 I opened double Undine, Controller and Tragoedia, giving me Undine, 2 Controller and Trag. Not a very good start while he had about everything. I focussed on my Tragoedia which was 3000-4200 the entire game and was just running over his Catastors and Bahamut Sharks and Gungnirs even (he used Gungnir to kill Trago, by that time I drew a 2nd Trag lol), and would have won game 2 to go for game 3, unfortunately he topped double Mirror Force (not sure why this wasn't sided out since I have Marksmans) and with the hand I had it just won the game.

Result
It was unlucky for me but I'm happy with the result regardless, I came 2nd overall, got some decent pulls out of the packs I won. The Firedog, Centipede, Undine, Kagemusha, and Whirlwind are Astral Pack super rares (holos), I got the worst secret out of Cosmo Blazer (Mystical Fairy Elfuria), and the ultra could have been better (got Dyson Sphere), but the Abyss Dweller was a nice pull and I needed an Abyss-Squall for the upgraded Mermails I'll be making.

Upcoming
In 3 weeks there is a big gaming expo and there will be a 2 day Yugioh Tournament there. I will only be going for 1 day but hopefully it goes well and if I top or win that I might post how it went.

Decklist

Monsters: 27
2x Mermail Abyssmegalo
3x Atlantean Dragoons
3x Mermail Abysslinde
3x Genex Undine
3x Atlantean Marksman
3x Deep Sea Diva
2x Mermail Abysspike
1x Moulinglacia the Elemental Lord
1x Mermail Abyssteus
2x Atlantean Heavy Infantry
1x Tragoedia
1x Mermail Abyssgunde
2x Genex Controller

Spells: 8
2x Mystical Space Typhoon
2x Salvage
1x Heavy Storm
1x Dark Hole
1x Monster Reborn
1x Pot of Avarice

Traps: 5
3x Abyss-Sphere
2x Torrential Tribute

Extra Deck: 15
1x Mermail Abyssgaios
1x Number 11: Big Eye
1x Bahamut Shark
1x Abyss Dweller
1x Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction
1x Wind-Up Zenmaines
1x Number 17: Leviathan Dragon
1x Mermail Abysstrite
1x Gachi Gachi Gantetsu
1x Mist Wurm
1x Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1x Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier
1x Hyper Librarian
1x Ally of Justice Catastor
1x Armory Arm

Last edited by Sabbaticus on Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
Puffy

Puffy

Duel Points : 100

Duel Career : 27-0-35

YGOPro Name : Puffy

YCC Gold
Squire
Team Wars Silver
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:05 pm
Nice, unlucky about the finals but well done sabb
Austin

Austin

Duel Season : 0-0-1

Duel Career : 39-0-14

YGOPro Name : Austin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  2ntv8so
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:11 pm
nice topic , hope next time you win it Smile
Kenshi

Kenshi

Team : Super Friends

Duel Career : 6-0-1

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:21 pm
Congrats on topping! I have some questions, if you don't mind answering... How many rounds of swiss did you play and why did you opt for Genex Mermails over Mono? Mono is the better deck until HA7 appears.

Im tempted to write about my own regional experience now...
NickV

NickV

Administrator

Team : Toxic Flamingos

Duel Season : 1-0-2

Duel Career : 45-0-24

YGOPro Name : NickV

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Silver
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm
Grats on second place sabs
Liyana

Liyana

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Season : 8-0-1

Duel Career : 75-0-48

YGOPro Name : Liyana

YCC Bronze
Order of Chaos
Battle Arena Bronze
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:33 pm
Gratz on Second place mate, it was a nice read
Sabbaticus

Sabbaticus

Founder

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Career : 32-0-5

YGOPro Name : Sabbaticus

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:35 pm
Kenshi wrote:
Congrats on topping! I have some questions, if you don't mind answering... How many rounds of swiss did you play and why did you opt for Genex Mermails over Mono? Mono is the better deck until HA7 appears.

Im tempted to write about my own regional experience now...

We did 6 rounds of swiss, and to finals makes it 9 rounds in total I did.

If I could have run Mono Mermails, I would have. My order arrived a month late just for this build, and I wouldn't have gotten my Leed, 2 more Teus, and Abyss-Squalls in time. So unfortunately I HAD to run this build. By choice I'd run Mono. Oddly enough there were 2 Mono Mermails, and only 1 got into top 8 and lost there, yet finals was 2 Undine builds.

You should definitely post about your Regional win. If there's enough IRL interest I'd like to open and IRL section on the forum.

PS: Thanks everyone Smile
samsoni1

samsoni1

Duel Career : 1-0-4

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:16 pm
good job sabb nice one with the mermails my build i have (IRL) is a bit diffrent but well done on making it to 2nd place my regionals is coming up soon as well hoping i can do just as good as you Smile
LateKnight

LateKnight

Team : Lethal Bullets

Duel Career : 2-0-2

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 am
Nice job Sabb. I wish I could duel IRL
Katana

Katana

Team : Tricksters

Duel Career : 29-0-24

YGOPro Name : Katana

Weekly Bash Silver
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:18 am
congrats sabb for topping.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013    WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013  Icon_m11

WCQ: Regionals South Africa 2013

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1