Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 138-0-35

YGOPro Name : Decato

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Empty
PostSubject: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:04 am
Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} W6ww5x

Like the image above, a few months ago we wouldn't have thought of Spellbooks to be such a dominating deck in the meta game. Of course, that all changed on Judgement Day... bad pun? Anyway Spellbook Judgement Day changed everything and is... well... broken.

Playstyle

I'm sure that most of you are familiar with SJD by now but the general idea of the card is that you can search any number of Spellbooks from the deck according to the amount of Spell cards (including Spellbook of Fate which deals with nearly everything) you activated after SJD. Oh and then you can summon a Spellcaster from your deck whose level is less or equal to the amount of number of cards added by this.

The deck can easily generate up to +6 advantage as well as getting a powerful monster on the field with little effort. This search power, speed, and ability to pop out a Kycoo/Jowgen instantly is the reason this deck can stand up to Dragon Rulers (Elemental Dragons) and the rest of the meta game.

Frequent turn 1 plays:

1. Summon Spellbook Magician of Prophecy.

2. Add either Spellbook of Secrets, Spellbook of Fate, The Grand Spellbook Tower, Spellbook Library of the Crescent, or Spellbook of Judgment to their hand depending on what you already have.

3. Activate Spellbook of Judgment.

4. Use any series of three Spell cards.

5. Set Spellbook of Fate and/or Spellbook of Wisdom (this depends: some may set cards just so they don't have to discard)

6. During the End Phase, add Spellbook of Secrets, Spellbook of the Master, Spellbook Star Hall or any other Spellbook Spell Card, or more (depending on the deck and what you have in hand).

7. Special Summon either Justice of Prophecy (and use her effect to add High Priestess of Prophecy and Spellbook of Judgment), Jowgen the Spiritualist, or Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer.

The first turn obviously changes depending on a variety of factors but that is a standard first turn.

As one of our staff put it so delicately, 'Spellbooks are gay' - Maria

Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} KaitoSpellbookGG_zpsece0206c

Siding

Of course, any deck is beatable and a good side will help with that. As you can see now Spellbook decks are heavily reliant on activating (and resolving) their Spellbook Spell cards. In theory, any card that can halt their plays, stop their effects, force their hand size down, prevent them from adding cards, stop their Spell activations, or even get rid of their Spells will inevitably give you the momentum to take the game; now let's look at some of the siding cards.

Quote :
Droll & lock Bird

This card received a lot of hype and honestly, at the start I didn't like it. I felt that a Prophecy user can play around the card even if it was awkward for them. What I missed was 2 points: it is a very powerful side (or even main) card to stop their Spellbook of Judgement on turn 1. Another point was that I thought of Prophecy players too highly: after dueling people on YGOPro I realized that many don't bother playing around this card and then scoop.

Quote :
Eradicator Epidemic Virus

Without the doubt the strongest type of siding you can have against Spellbooks (Aside from Naturia Beast which isn't exactly siding). Now... I always liked seeing Kaiba destroy 90% of a deck with one Crush Card Virus. It's not the same of course but you will feel that same level of satisfaction if you pull this off. Evilswarm Ophion, Fusilier the Dual Mode Beast, Number 85: Crazy Box (Thanks Sabb) and Number 11: Big Eye are the main monsters you’ll probably spread the virus with.

p.s. if you set Fusilier it meets the requirement.

Other cards that are used:

Quote :
Mistake, Curse of Darkness, Anti-Spell Fragrance, Effect Vieler, Spell Canceller, Number 16: Shock Master, Spellbook of Judgement (in a mirror), Imperial Iron Wall, Retaliation (in a mirror), Breakthrough Skill, Forbidden Chalice, Thunder King Rai-Oh, Mind Crush, Deck Lockdown, Puppet Plant, Gozen Match

There are obviously more but really, you shouldn't need more than those side cards.

Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} 34467517

Good Match ups: Most decks
Bad Match ups: Solitare

I didn't count Dragon Rulers or Evilswarm because it really depends on siding and one deck doesn't have a big advantage over others.

Well, that's the end of the Facing the Meta series, good luck until next season when Konami (hopefully) updates the banlist.

Last edited by Decato on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
LustfulZex

LustfulZex

Team : Destiny

Duel Points : 100

Duel Career : 8-0-13

YGOPro Name : VampiricZex

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Gold
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:17 am
Nice Guide Deca, but you didn't use my memes... After all that work I did searching for some >.<
Eheroduelist

Eheroduelist

Team : MASTER MINDS

Duel Career : 2-0-3

Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} 2ntv8so
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:27 am
Fantastic article Smile

I like it, but I personally don't see much Spellbooks played.
I don't know if it's because EDrags are better, or because an EDrags player could probably slaughter this deck with two arms tied behind it's back and blindfolded.
adonis43

adonis43

Team : Master Minds

Duel Career : 0-0-0

YGOPro Name : adonis43

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 am
that was exactly how my duel against spellbooks went. so much spells.
cecko0o0o0o0o0

cecko0o0o0o0o0

Team : Genesis

Duel Career : 100-0-68

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:23 am
Eheroduelist wrote:

I don't know if it's because EDrags are better, or because an EDrags player could probably slaughter this deck with two arms tied behind it's back and blindfolded.

Your wrong there .
Give the SB a good opening hand and the knowledge it's facing E-drags and it's mostlikely to be "gg" .  ( He'll just SS Jowgen / Kycoo during the EP and protect it with Fate )

And nice read Dec , there's nothing I would add .

Edit : Except this -
silvermaster

silvermaster

Duel Season : 0-0-1

Duel Career : 0-0-10

YGOPro Name : silvermaster

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:38 am
also as a meta card against the deck which i use and most people forget about is Mind Drain whats wrong with that
Decato

Decato

Administrator

Team : Tricksters

Duel Points : 125

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 am
@ E Hero: there is a new build that topped recently that focuses on Kycoo and Starhall and 0 Priestess: If it opens well E-Drags don't stand a chance.

@ Silver: The only card Mind Drain affects is hand traps and Priestess, and builds don't even run the latter anymore. + Fate messes it up too much for it to be a suitable side card.
Liyana

Liyana

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Season : 8-0-1

Duel Career : 75-0-48

YGOPro Name : Liyana

YCC Bronze
Order of Chaos
Battle Arena Bronze
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:34 am
Great guide mate, hopefully this series next season see's some different decks :p
Eheroduelist

Eheroduelist

Team : MASTER MINDS

Duel Career : 2-0-3

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:52 pm
Decato wrote:
@ E Hero: there is a new build that topped recently that focuses on Kycoo and Starhall and 0 Priestess: If it opens well E-Drags don't stand a chance.
Sounds like a big "if" imo.

Not saying the deck is bad, but I've played against SBs a few times and came out on top more often than not.
Maybe the people I played are bad, maybe not.

Nevertheless, I can see why they're a good deck. It's not that I don't recognize its capabilities and feats.
It'll be interesting to see how things play out into the next format for sure.
Sabbaticus

Sabbaticus

Founder

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Career : 32-0-5

YGOPro Name : Sabbaticus

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 pm
In my opinion Spellbooks are the best deck at the moment, Dragons are the more consistent deck. Dragons just tend to get played more than Spellbooks because they're easier to pilot, and you don't suffer from a bad build and ratios like Spellbooks do. You really need to have a good build and experience using it, then they are the number 1 deck.

But nice article Deca. I think you really need to mention Crazy Box. It basically puts an EEV target in every deck which means all decks have access to Spellbook hate, more so than before.
Decato

Decato

Administrator

Team : Tricksters

Duel Points : 125

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:38 am
Forgot about that since it isn't out in ygopro yet (I believe), added it to EEV targets
Austin

Austin

Duel Season : 0-0-1

Duel Career : 39-0-14

YGOPro Name : Austin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:03 am
nice read decato , and i consider spellbooks are #1 atm and priestess is not as good as before , the little magician is almost all u need xD
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}   Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum} Icon_m11

Facing the Meta: Spellbooks {pre-Pendulum}

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1