Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 138-0-35

YGOPro Name : Decato

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery Empty
PostSubject: Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery   Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery Icon_m11Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:00 am
Haven't done a Featured Card in a while... anyway I'm back! The card I will be discussing today is probably my favorite side card this format: DNA Surgery.

(By the way, even though Katana's format was awesome... I'm sticking to my template so apologies if it looks so plain compared to the last one XD)

Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery DNA+Surgery

Activate by declaring 1 Monster Type. All face-up monsters become that type

Remember this card? If you are new to Yugioh, you might not have ever used this. Since I followed Yugioh since I was young I actually happen to remember this: I used it to power up my Dark Paladin or be indestructible with Insect Barrier.

What else do you need? It is obviously a broken and totally splash-able card!
... not falling for it? lol! 

In this new age of Exceed monsters... and other broken meta and... stuff... this card has truly came out of nowhere. Now to explain this meta very briefly:

While this meta has opened up to a number of rogue decks, there are still a number of decks that are heads above the rest. Personally, I view these 5 are the main decks to look out for this format:

Bujins
Karauri Geargia (if they have Auger)
Firefist
Spellbooks
Mermails
Harpies

Even though DNA Surgery doesn't affect all of those decks (e.g. Mermails), it does cripple a number of them. All of the newer supports that most archetypes receives these days rely on a specific type of monster: Noble Knights/Bujins/Fire Fist/Spellbooks.

Furthermore, DNA Surgery prevents certain Fusion, Synchro, and XYZ monsters from being summoned. These monsters require a specific type of monster(s) to summon them. Cyber Dragon Nova, Hierophant of Prophecy, and Five Headed Dragon being a few examples from the top of my head.

Now I will just show the main support cards that DNA Surgery hits from each deck.

Spellbooks: Spellbook of Power, Master, Wisdom, Fate
Fire Fist: Tiger King, Tensen, Stops them from attacking the turn they use Spirit
Bujin: All of the Bujingi, Mikazuchi
Geargia: Stop Karakuri synchro/Gear Gigant X
Others: Lonefire Blossom, Laggia/Dolkka, Cyber Dragon

The main decks it affects are Bujin, Spellbooks and to a lesser extent Geargia. Unfortunately, Fire Fist can play around it as a few hundred attack points isn't enough of a side.

Of course, it doesn't have to be used only defensively, there are 3 ways I found that it is most awarding (by that I mean hilarious).

1. Declaring Dragon and using Super Polymerization to use 3 of his monsters and 2 of mine to summon Five-Headed-Dragon.

2. Declaring Machine and using his full field to make a 6000 attack Chimera Fortress Dragon.

3. My personal favorite, declaring Dinosaur in a Hunder deck and spamming 2 Laggia on turn 3.

Anyway guys, I'm pretty sure I covered the important points: the card itself is quite simple after all. Have fun experimenting with it and if you find another way to use it in a fun, yet abusive way please tell me XD.

Rulings (all credit to Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia)
  • Zombie World: Vs. "DNA Surgery": Which ever card is activates last has its effect applied (although "Zombie World" will continue to affect the Graveyard and prevent Tribute Summons). Also, if "DNA Surgery" is activated after "Zombie World", then Tribute Summoning an originally Zombie-Type monster is still allowed (even though it is a non-Zombie-Type monster when it is on the field).[21]

Trivia (all credit to Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia)
  • This card has 3 counterparts: "DNA Transplant", "DNA Checkup" and "DNA Erasure Magic" (Anime-only).

• "Rebirth Judgment" (currently Anime-only) uses the effect of this card on Graveyard monsters instead of the field.
Katana

Katana

Team : Tricksters

Duel Points : 100

Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 29-0-24

YGOPro Name : Katana

Weekly Bash Silver
Squire
Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery 2ntv8so
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery   Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery Icon_m11Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:34 am
*claps* welcome back, and nice article. Yours is humorous whole mine is dry.
VIP MNM

VIP MNM

Team : RIP

Duel Season : 11-0-11

Duel Career : 11-0-11

YGOPro Name : K4Fame

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery   Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery Icon_m11Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 pm
Well it's ok. I like yours more Kat. :*
Salik

Salik

Team : Anteiku

Duel Season : 7-0-12

Duel Career : 194-0-91

YGOPro Name : Salik

Team Wars Gold
Squire
Battle Arena Silver
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery   Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery Icon_m11Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:45 pm
Good read and nice article. I'm still not fully sold on this card though.
Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Team : None

Duel Season : 13-0-6

Duel Career : 43-0-27

YGOPro Name : Dovahkiin

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery   Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery Icon_m11Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:59 pm
This card is amazing vs Bujins , You declare anything that's not "Beast Warrior" and you simply stopped most of their strong plays , anyway very well written Deca Smile
Chaos Creator

Chaos Creator

Team : Gimme 1

Duel Season : 5-0-12

Duel Career : 32-0-53

YGOPro Name : ChaosCreator

Weekly Bash Bronze
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery   Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery Icon_m11Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:02 pm
I usually declare divine-beast. Very Happy

also what happens if theres two DNA surgery's face up?
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery   Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery Icon_m11

Featured Card #19: DNA Surgery

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1