Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 138-0-35

YGOPro Name : Decato

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Empty
PostSubject: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird 2ynl0ts

When a Spell, Trap, Spell/Trap Effect, or Monster Effect is activated: You can banish this face-up card. During the next Standby Phase, return this card to the field and it gains 300 ATK.
The effect of “Evilswarm Thunderbird” can only be activated once per turn, during either player’s turn.

When I think of this card... the first word that comes to mind is 'troll'. I know I shouldn't describe a card like that so I'll re-word it: it is probably one of the most irritating monsters in YGO history. No it isn't broken like Yata & Co but it is one of the most used cards in the OCG for a reason.

To start off... it's very difficult to destroy this monster. Any spell/trap/effect and it'll come back next turn as a 1950 beater (can re-use that ability every turn) which is nothing be to laughed at. I'll give a basic example just to give you a clear idea:

1) Summon Thunderbird
2) Opponent uses Torrential/Bottomless/Anything other than Solemn
3) You tribute it to escape
4) Next turn you get it back as a 1950 monster
5) Opponent uses Dark Hole/Different Trap
6) Go to step 3

See what I mean? Card with so much potential, I actually made a Anti-Meta/Troll deck with 3 Thunderbird/3 Rabbit/Destruction Traps which gave me amazing results. I'm sure most of you are aware of the Evilswarm Rabbit, there is now an increasing trend of an Evilswarm deck that actually abuses the effect of Thunderbird (Less 1st turn Ophion, more control). This card is amazing for all types of control decks, Chain Burn (yes... I have used Chain Burn *is ashamed*), and even decks that use Chaos Zone (an interesting idea for you Chaos lovers out there).

Now what can it not do? Well initially it is a 1650 monster; something a certain Rai-Oh can run over easily. It also means without backrow, you are open to your opponent's direct attacks. You cannot expect to put Thunderbird in a deck and watch the magic happen, you'll need to design the deck to provide enough protection/enemy hate while adjusting your play style to grind your opponent down.

Other basic rulings I missed out on (Thanks Polar):

1st: Banishing is an effect, if you beat Thunderbird in a chain (3+), he can get ridden off.
2nd: The card effect can only be used once per turn. If you summon 2 Thunderbird, one of them is useless.
3rd: You can banish him during your SP and summon him again, like Treeborn. But you won't be able to use his effect that turn.

This card isn't just a tech for other decks; it needs its own deckstyle to fully annoy.. I mean beat the opponent. While the OCG deck can sometimes confuse us with its love for Raigeki Break (if you know what I mean then.. you know your stuff), I cannot stress enough how much potential this has. It's not game-breaking, and it's not overpowered; but if you are looking for a card that will (almost) never die, you've found it.

Once you have used it... then you have my permission to... ok too much. Anyway let the discussion begin!

Note: The next COTW will be a secret: *cough* this is not because I haven't decided but... *cough*

Last edited by Decato on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Sabbaticus

Sabbaticus

Founder

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Points : 100

Duel Career : 32-0-5

YGOPro Name : Sabbaticus

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:44 pm
Epic card is epic. You're definitely right about the potential of this card. It can have a multitude of decks built solely around his effect, but more than just being good, it's incredibly versatile.

Gonna mention some changes and additions that I feel should be mentioned.

First, I disagree with "This card isn't just a tech for other decks", because it can actually function purely as a tech card by itself. How so will be seen in the additional uses of this card.

Some more examples of the usefulness of this card... is in this Xyz era. The fact that this is a perpetual lv4 monster, that can save itself from all harm and always return to your field, means that you have a lv4 monster to Xyz with any turn you should need it, freeing up your normal summon. And while doing that you can attack for 1950 each turn, or run over the other 1900 gang.

Then the part about Rai-Oh being able to run over this. It isn't actually defenceless, and you don't just summon it hoping your opponent will activate a card effect so that you can banish it. You can force it's effect with your own cards. So ANY spell card etc. This means you can summon it, and the activate something like Duality and banish Thunderbird, giving you a 1950 monster by your opponent's turn already. You never just summon it and rely on your opponent, otherwise it will just get run over.

I think more people need to start seeing the potential of this card. Not just for control decks, but Xyz decks that hit rank 4's, dark decks etc. As well as removal decks seeing that this card is very unlikely to hit the grave. It can be tech'd into so many things, as well as have entire decks built around it. So I recommend that everyone experiment with this card and see it's usefulness for yourselves.
Decato

Decato

Administrator

Team : Tricksters

Duel Points : 125

Duel Career : 138-0-35

YGOPro Name : Decato

Battle Arena Bronze
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 pm
Great points: I knew I missed something important:

1) I was referring to the fact while the card is a tech: I feel it isn't suitable for everything. (common sense)
2) I actually forgot about the fact we could use its effect first turn: my bad
3) I totally forgot about the xyz capabilities: knew I missed something.

Way to go Sabb: keep the discussion going people.
Darkness Son

Darkness Son

Team : Super Friends

Duel Career : 3-0-1

Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird 2ntv8so
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm
This is quite a good card in a lot of decks, I like it a lot. However, I feel its effect should have been somehow restricted the use of this card to Evilswarm decks. Those +50 attack make it an annoy... worthy. This card is as useful as overlooked. I cannot wait for Evilswarms to be released in the TCG (although their name will switch to "lswarm").

I'm curious about those other Evilswarm decks which focus less on Ophion turn1 and more on control. Mind expanding a bit either here or by pm? Thanks.
AsianGuy1137

AsianGuy1137

Duel Career : 9-0-8

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:23 pm
I remember this card when I played Rabbit Verz back when it was first released... speaking of which, I need to transition back sometime, it's been too long since I've played OCG.
Facial_Hair

Facial_Hair

Duel Career : 4-0-4

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:50 pm
First thing that comes to mind is Rise of the Snake Deity, really boss with Thunder Bird..you get to pop 2 and get 1950 beater next turn.
AsianGuy1137

AsianGuy1137

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:36 pm
Rise of the Snake Deity? Did you mean Offering to the Snake Diety instead? That doesn't work for two reasons.

1. Thunderbird is a Winged-Beast-Type monster whilst Offering requires you to destroy Reptile-Type instead.
2. If one of the targets is removed from the field or cannot be destroyed unless inherently immune (etc Wildheart), then none of the targets get destroyed.
Sabbaticus

Sabbaticus

Founder

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:40 pm
1. Thunderbird is a Thunder type, not Winged-Beast.
2. I also can't see how Thunderbird can work with any of the Snake Deity traps.
AsianGuy1137

AsianGuy1137

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:44 pm
Excuse me for the mistake, I just looked up at the card at the top for reference. Also, why are you using that card instead of the actual card?
Sabbaticus

Sabbaticus

Founder

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:48 pm
lol wtf. I just noticed now, it says Winged-Beast at the top O_o
I only used that pic because all real life images of the card are in japanese, as the card is not out in TCG yet. But I guess the person who made the card mock-up failed.
Katana

Katana

Team : Tricksters

Duel Career : 29-0-24

YGOPro Name : Katana

Weekly Bash Silver
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:06 pm
Reminds me of Wind-Up Rabbit. All these new cards are like Stardust Dragon that enter into another Dimension nobody can touch, and can keep coming back infinitely.
AsianGuy1137

AsianGuy1137

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 pm
Except it's really not that new. Neither is Stardust Dragon; it's effect doesn't even banish anything. The only other cards that enter into the 'different dimension' and return consistently are Banish Psychics, and they're not new, unless you just took a break for the last few years. The game's pretty balanced these days, enough so that every now and then, a 'homebrew' deck can even make top eight or actually top. I like it like this.
Beyond Imagination

Beyond Imagination

Duel Career : 0-0-2

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 pm
Lol its not new at all

Plus alot...ALOT of things can get rid of it

Raphael

Raphael

Team : ShadowBright

Duel Career : 10-0-3

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:48 pm
-- Deleted my post.

Last edited by Raphael on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Facial_Hair

Facial_Hair

Duel Career : 4-0-4

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:25 pm
Oh lol..didn't Thunderbird use to be a Reptile-Type?
Darkness Son

Darkness Son

Duel Career : 3-0-1

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 pm
Raphael wrote:

1st: Banishing is an effect, if you beat Thunderbird in a chain (3+), he can get ridden off.

2nd: The card effect can only be used once per turn. If you summon 2 thunderbird, one of them is useless.

3rd: You can banish him during your SP and summon him again, like Treeborn. But you won't be able to use his effect that turn, what makes this play unviable.

I think this should be added to the main post. In fact, it would be nice to include the most remarkable rulings in the card reviews.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird   Featured Card  #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird Icon_m11

Featured Card #10: Evilswarm Thunderbird

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1