Duel Season : 0-0-0

Duel Career : 32-0-5

YGOPro Name : Sabbaticus

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Empty
PostSubject: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11Thu May 23, 2013 5:32 am

Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord E6bm92

Metaion, the Timelord (Lvl 10, Fire, Fairy)
Cannot be Special Summoned from the Deck. If you control no monsters, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. This card cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. You take no Battle Damage from battles involving this face-up Attack Position card. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card attacked or was attacked: Return all other monsters on the field to the hand, and inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each card returned. During your Standby Phase: Shuffle this card into the Deck (even if face-down).

Welcome to another Featured Card!

So I did mention the next card would be Eradicator Epidemic Virus, but we've done so many traps after each other that I figured a monster would be a nice change. With that, make way for Metaion the Timelord!

You might have been seeing more of this guy if you've been dueling in ranks or in wars. It's popularity has been increasing with the type of decks we have in the meta online. For the most part, it's popularity is due to it's effectiveness against Evilswarms and Elemental Dragons. The ability to clear the whole board of monsters that hurt you, or are otherwise difficult to destroy. Not only does Metaion take out more than one monster, and bypass all destruction and most spell/trap protection, it also stays on the field for your opponent's turn with them unable to attack it or you without getting around it first. Against fields of Dracossacks, Ophions, Stardusts, or overwhelming monsters in size and quantity, THIS is your problem solver!

Although Metaion can be mained, it is predominantly a side deck card. Siding is always an important skill and aspect, but with the current format even more critical for those tough match ups and against decks that seem too overwhelming. Metaion just resets the field much like Morphing Jar #2 only faster, and can really change the tide of a match, much like other power cards like Gorz.

Of course, few cards are without their downside and Metaion is no exception. It is still privy to backrow cards such as Dimensional Prison, and even a Compulsory can hurt depending on the game state. It also falls victim to hand traps such as Effect Veiler, while still able to stall for a turn, it does remove it's effectiveness.

Personally, I really like this card in the current format. What do you think of it? Do you find it effective, have you faced it and have it taken you by surprise, or does it not work for you? Share your thoughts and opinions!

Rulings (all credit to Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia)
  • This card is a Normal Summon Monster.
  • This monster can be Special Summoned from anywhere else except the Deck. Also, if it's sent from the Deck to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon it from the Graveyard.
  • "Cannot be Special Summoned from the Deck" is not treated as an effect of an Effect Monster.
  • The effect that returns monsters to the hand is activated at the end of the Battle Phase, regardless of whose Battle Phase it is.
  • A "Metaion, the Timelord" sent from the Deck to the Graveyard can be Special Summoned by the effect of "Monster Reborn" or similar cards.
  • "Metaion, the Timelord" effect that returns all other monsters to the owner's hand, and then inflicts 300 points of damage to the opponent for each monster returned, are considered to happen simultaneously.
  • If you use "Metaion, the Timelord" effect to return a "Zoma the Spirit", since it does return to the hand, it is counted towards the number of returned cards. However, if you use "Metaion, the Timelord" effect to return a "Fluff Token", since the "Fluff Token" stops existing when it leaves the field, it never returns to the hand, so it's not counted towards the number of returned cards.
  • If a Synchro Monster or Fusion Monster on the field would be returned to the hand, they return to the Extra Deck. Furthermore, if a Synchro Monster or Fusion Monster is returned to the Extra Deck, it will be counted towards the number of returned cards.
  • Even if "Degenerate Circuit" is face-up on the field, the effect of "Metaion, the Timelord" will still activate, but due to "Degenerate Circuit", the cards will be banished instead. Therefore, you do not include those cards while counting the number of returned cards.
  • When a face-up Defense Position "Metaion, the Timelord" is switched to face-up Attack Position during the Damage Step by the effect of "Final Attack Orders", the Battle Damage you take becomes 0. Also, if "Enemy Controller" is activated during the Battle Step so that "Metaion, the Timelord" is in face-up Defense Position during Damage Calculation, you can't reduce the Battle Damage inflicted by "Airknight Parshath".
  • If there's a "Plaguespreader Zombie" on the field that was Summoned by its own effect, since it's not possible to return it to the hand because it is banished instead, it is not counted towards the number of returned cards.
  • If the activation of the effect of "Metaion, the Timelord" that returns it to your Deck during the Standby Phase is negated by the effect of "Light and Darkness Dragon", it will activate once again during the Standby Phase of the same turn.
  • At the end of the Battle Phase, when the effect of "Metaion, the Timelord" activates, if "Divine Wrath" or "Light and Darkness Dragon" negate the activation of that effect, "Metaion, the Timelord" will not activate that effect again during the same Battle Phase.

Card Trivia (all credit to Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia)
  • This card has the same Attribute, Level, ATK, and DEF as "Uria, Lord of Searing Flames".
  • This card's effect temporally relates to the past, sending monsters back to a players hand and sending itself back to the deck.
  • The face of this monster vaguely resembles Vellian Crowler. ◾ Interestingly, Vellian's Japanese name is Chronos, meaning Time in Greek.
  • This card can be considered a 5D's counterpart to the GX card "Yubel".
  • This card appears to be named after Metatron, a prominent angel in Jewish mysticism.
  • This card resembles the "Majestic Mech" cards.
  • "Aitsu" and this card are the only current TCG/OCG FIRE Fairy-Type monster in the game.
  • The effect of this card to return monsters and inflict damage for each one is a downgraded version of the effect of "Camion, the Timelord".
  • This card is the first "Timelord" to be released in the OCG, the second being "Sephylon, the Ultimate Timelord".
  • This card is Z-one's ace monster.

Discuss!

Last edited by Sabbaticus on Thu May 23, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
[KDAp]OneTrackMind

[KDAp]OneTrackMind

Team : [None]

Duel Points : 100

Duel Career : 1-0-0

YGOPro Name : OneTrackMind

Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord 2ntv8so
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11Thu May 23, 2013 5:43 am
Quick Note:" It is still privy to backrow cards such as Mirror Force, Dimensional Prison, and even a Compulsary can hurt depending on the game state."

Mirror force no likey Metaion.
Sabbaticus

Sabbaticus

Founder

Team : Dreamstate

Duel Career : 32-0-5

YGOPro Name : Sabbaticus

Team Wars Silver
Order of Chaos
Weekly Bash Gold
3rd Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11Thu May 23, 2013 5:46 am
Haha my bad.

*fixed*
mlangit

mlangit

Teacher

Duel Career : 17-0-4

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11Thu May 23, 2013 5:58 am
Its a good card. I believe it really shines in the Dragon rulers mirror. the momentum swings this card can do is insane in a format this fast, its practically a second dark hole as far as the mirror is concerned, only better because it can be reused.

Not sure how i feel about it in anything other than Dragon mirrors or any deck that is fast enough to make use of the tempo swing.

*edit* Sabbs review left me in awe.
Zacky

Zacky

Duel Career : 34-0-2

YGOPro Name : Zacky

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 am
Nicely done Sabb ,

Although might i add Mirror Force does hurt Metaion to an extent as it Negates the attack thus preventing Metaions effect from taking place :3

NickV

NickV

Administrator

Team : Toxic Flamingos

Duel Season : 1-0-2

Duel Career : 45-0-24

YGOPro Name : NickV

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Silver
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11Thu May 23, 2013 2:40 pm
Zacky wrote:
Nicely done Sabb ,

Although might i add Mirror Force does hurt Metaion to an extent as it Negates the attack thus preventing Metaions effect from taking place :3

Mirror Force says nothing about negating an attack.
Zacky

Zacky

Duel Career : 34-0-2

YGOPro Name : Zacky

Weekly Bash Gold
Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11Thu May 23, 2013 3:31 pm
Right Mr.Teacher .... what was i thinking Razz
Azi

Team : Toxic Flamingos

Duel Career : 50-0-57

YGOPro Name : Azi

Team Wars Silver
Squire
Weekly Bash Bronze
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11Thu May 23, 2013 3:59 pm
I can't tell you how many times this card has saved me when they have a field of Orphion, Bahamut, Big Eye, and too many other unfriendly monsters.

Sure it CAN get stopped but the disruption it causes is just too great to not use it just because you think it will get veiled.

I usually keep just one in my side deck, or at least used to, haven't changed em in a while!

Good Review Sabb!
Darkanen

Darkanen

Duel Career : 0-0-10

Squire
1st Division

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11Fri May 24, 2013 6:42 pm
A very good card, indeed.

I wanted to make a deck for him, but it's quite hard. But this card can be a good in a side vs some decks!

If someone as a good deck with him, show me please.

P.S. And yes! I'm back!!
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord   Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord Icon_m11

Featured Card #15: Metaion, the Timelord

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1